Can't decide on which Internal filter

Narnia3737

Location (City and/or State)
El Paso
Hi!
I am a beginner to turtle keeping and I want to know several things.

1. I can't decide on which internal filter.
29 gallon (I only have tank atm)
I need an internal filter because the water level is low.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TKZ51E...ding=UTF8&th=1
Fluval U3 filter
or
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DHYH2...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Tetra Whisper internal filter
Musk turtles like small water flow and I cannot decide. The Tetra is cheaper but I think I would have to modify it because I don't like the cartridges.
2. Should I just use them in tandem?
3. How often do I replace the cartridges if I use them and how often do I rinse the media?

Thank you!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi!
I am a beginner to turtle keeping and I want to know several things.

1. I can't decide on which internal filter.
29 gallon (I only have tank atm)
I need an internal filter because the water level is low.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TKZ51E...ding=UTF8&th=1
Fluval U3 filter
or
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DHYH2...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Tetra Whisper internal filter
Musk turtles like small water flow and I cannot decide. The Tetra is cheaper but I think I would have to modify it because I don't like the cartridges.
2. Should I just use them in tandem?
3. How often do I replace the cartridges if I use them and how often do I rinse the media?

Thank you!
You would be much better off with an external canister filter than an internal filter. You can remove the spray bar and adjust the flow rate so there isn't too much water flow. It would keep your tank much cleaner and requires a lot less maintenance in the long run.

Narnia3737

El Paso
You would be much better off with an external canister filter than an internal filter. You can remove the spray bar and adjust the flow rate so there isn't too much water flow. It would keep your tank much cleaner and requires a lot less maintenance in the long run.
The budget doesn't agree. I was thinking of the Zoo Med canister filter but at that point, I thought an internal filter would be better. I don't mind the maintenance.

Narnia3737

El Paso
Do you have any ideas for budget canister filters? A DIY would be cool but I don't think my idiot mind could make one.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The budget doesn't agree. I was thinking of the Zoo Med canister filter but at that point, I thought an internal filter would be better. I don't mind the maintenance.
I've never used the zoo med one but I have used the whisper one. It does work pretty decent. I had to change out or clean the filter cartridge about once every two weeks as it will get clogged and affect the water stream. For just one turtle you should be good with that. In any case I'd go with the one that has a higher GPH.

Narnia3737

El Paso
I've never used the zoo med one but I have used the whisper one. It does work pretty decent. I had to change out or clean the filter cartridge about once every two weeks as it will get clogged and affect the water stream. For just one turtle you should be good with that. In any case I'd go with the one that has a higher GPH.
The whisper internal filter? Or the canister? (I've never seen the canister)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The whisper internal filter? Or the canister? (I've never seen the canister)
The whisper internal one you posted is the one I've used.

Narnia3737

El Paso
The whisper internal one you posted is the one I've used.
SO the whisper internal has chemical filtration (carbon), mechanical filtration ("Bio-Scrubber") what do I do for biological? I've seen people modify it so that there is a sponge, medium-coarse filter floss, carbon and then bio balls. Should I do that?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
SO the whisper internal has chemical filtration (carbon), mechanical filtration ("Bio-Scrubber") what do I do for biological? I've seen people modify it so that there is a sponge, medium-coarse filter floss, carbon and then bio balls. Should I do that?
It has a course sponge that's separate from the removable media pad for biological filtration. The replaceable media pads are filter floss and charcoal. I suppose you could fill the back of the filter with bio balls but I think if you tried stuffing it with more sponges it would probably clog quickly.

Narnia3737

El Paso
It has a course sponge that's separate from the removable media pad for biological filtration. The replaceable media pads are filter floss and charcoal. I suppose you could fill the back of the filter with bio balls but I think if you tried stuffing it with more sponges it would probably clog quickly.
Do you think adding lava rocks around the filter would be better? Live plants? I really just want a sufficient filter for the low price.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Do you think adding lava rocks around the filter would be better? Live plants? I really just want a sufficient filter for the low price.
Live plants certainly help with nitrates. I think with just one turtle in a 29g that's not filled all the way you should be ok with the whisper one.

Narnia3737

El Paso
What do you think about the water depth for a juvenile turtle? I was thinking 10-11 inches?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don't keep musk turtles. I know they're not very good swimmers so they need a lot of stuff that they can climb to get to the surface. @Moozillion keeps mud turtles she can probably give you the best pointers.