can't get temperature right

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Whatever the temperature I'd rather not wake my beloved tort to eat. In other words when it wakes up alone and if it is hungy then I do feed it.

Magilla504

I actually leave a flat basking rock under my basking light. The rock warms up nice and they like it

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
That's about 90 F. That's probably the minimum temp I would use. I would try to lower your light maybe an inch and see what you get.

— Gus

leanneb85

5 Year Member
That's about 90 F. That's probably the minimum temp I would use. I would try to lower your light maybe an inch and see what you get.

— Gus
He won't lay directly underneath he basks to the side of it wouldn't that suggest its a bit too hot?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Most don't lay directly under it from what I have noticed. Also if you keep your ambient temps up they don't need to bask as much. However the opposite is also likely true.

— Gus

leanneb85

5 Year Member
He won't lay directly underneath he basks to the side of it wouldn't that suggest its a bit too hot?
Great thanks. How long
Most don't lay directly under it from what I have noticed. Also if you keep your ambient temps up they don't need to bask as much. However the opposite is also likely true.

— Gus
He doesn't seem to bask at all really which worries me. He never gets out of bed either I am having to wake him and put him under the lamp he pretty much wanders off straight away. He is eating and pooping fine. He rarely goes near his water so I bathe him daily.He spends most of the day sleeping Is this normal I understand he is still nervous and getting used to his surroundings I try not to handle him much as he still hides in his shell sometimes. He finally fed from my hand today. I just want to be sure he's happy.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
:tort:Hi, I believe that your tort is doing fine. You need a lot of patience with torts I can assure you. It took me quite a while to get used to my tort and vice versa. At a certain point my tort would not eat unless I hand feed it, which means I presume it is happy.

leanneb85

5 Year Member
:tort:Hi, I believe that your tort is doing fine. You need a lot of patience with torts I can assure you. It took me quite a while to get used to my tort and vice versa. At a certain point my tort would not eat unless I hand feed it, which means I presume it is happy.
I hope so he just seems very inactive he never goes near his basking light. I put him there and he just wanders off lol I put him back a few times and he finally sat there for a while and then wandered straight to his food plate so I guess he is warm enough the room temperature is quite warm I just worry he isn't getting the uvb he needs.

leanneb85

5 Year Member
Had my first vets appointment. Pleased to say tortoise is healthy in weight, smooth shell bright eyes etc.... I have finally mastered the temperature although I may keep the room warmer at night as he's very lazy in the morning and has to be bribed to come out of bed! but unfortunately he has parasites and worms which I am assuming came from the pet shop but he's being treated by the vet so very soon I will have a healthy and happy tortoise. Thank you all for your advice.