captive farmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

natty01

5 Year Member
ive just seen on a reptile suppliers website a list of tortoises most of the breeds say captive bred but the horsefields say captive farmed .

what is the difference ?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
CBB - Captive bred and born

CB/CH - Captive born/hatched - Hatched from wild caught gravid Females that laid in captivity at some point

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Farmed usually means a place that has many, many breeders. The babies are kept a certain amount of time then exported.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
So if my WC Russian tortoises which have all been in captivity for several years were to reproduce, they would be CBB not just CB...correct?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
jeffbens0n said:
So if my WC Russian tortoises which have all been in captivity for several years were to reproduce, they would be CBB not just CB...correct?
no CBB usually refers to tortoises in their native country that are farmed for export

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Russians aren't "farmed" (a stretch of a term) like some RFs, although many like to claim it so customers feel better. They are field collected.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The terms "farmed", "farm raised", "farm bred", "captive raised" and other similar terms being used nowadays are the new "feel good" terms used to avoid telling the truth of the animals being wild caught. The term "wild caught" has negative implications with many of today's environmentally conscientious buyers.

The reality is that it does not make economic sense for anyone to raise several hundred or thousand tortoises for the period of time that it would take for them to become 4" to legally import into the U.S. Even if they were rapidly grown, which if they were, they'd look different than the current imports do. It would take a ridiculous amount of electricity, food, area, paid employees and other resources, not to mention export/import permits and fees. All to sell a 4" Russian tortoise wholesale for under $25.

A similar large scale project here is the U.S. would be doubtful also. A friend of mine in the Midwest looked into doing exactly that a couple of years ago. His goal, with the help of others, myself included, was to raise enough Russian tortoises (and eventually including other species), to supply the need here in the U.S. with the hopes of eventually doing away with the need for animals to be to taken from the wild. We basically figured it every possible way we could and came to the conclusion that it simply was not economically feasible based on the low price of the animals.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
GBtortoises said:
The terms "farmed", "farm raised", "farm bred", "captive raised" and other similar terms being used nowadays are the new "feel good" terms used to avoid telling the truth of the animals being wild caught. The term "wild caught" has negative implications with many of today's environmentally conscientious buyers.

The reality is that it does not make economic sense for anyone to raise several hundred or thousand tortoises for the period of time that it would take for them to become 4" to legally import into the U.S. Even if they were rapidly grown, which if they were, they'd look different than the current imports do. It would take a ridiculous amount of electricity, food, area, paid employees and other resources, not to mention export/import permits and fees. All to sell a 4" Russian tortoise wholesale for under $25.

A similar large scale project here is the U.S. would be doubtful also. A friend of mine in the Midwest looked into doing exactly that a couple of years ago. His goal, with the help of others, myself included, was to raise enough Russian tortoises (and eventually including other species), to supply the need here in the U.S. with the hopes of eventually doing away with the need for animals to be to taken from the wild. We basically figured it every possible way we could and came to the conclusion that it simply was not economically feasible based on the low price of the animals.

Exactly this.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
jeffbens0n said:
no CBB usually refers to tortoises in their native country that are farmed for export

That's not true at all........CBB refers to animals produce from founders acclimated or raised in captivity, that have been captive for more than a year, and have cycled in captivity........

Status
Not open for further replies.