Cardone

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Has anyone used this with torts. All I can find says it is a relative of artichoke and sunflower. Also found one articale that said it was burdock. It looks like a celery stalks when it comes from a store, but a bit darker green. Anyone have info on this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I never heard of it until you posted this. I looked it up on Google and wondered why it said that it was never eaten raw, but always cooked. That makes me think there may be something toxic when eaten raw, similar to rhubarb.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Cardoon is a thistle, like artichoke, so theoretically okay. Unprocessed cardoon—what we see growing as an invasive plant in California—is a pretty ferocious plant, with extremely large spines. It’s similar to artichoke in that it’s likely unedible raw. Yvonne, you might have seen this when it is in bloom with large purple flowers; it’s a beast up close.

59070297-D9D8-4452-A573-8D0685B266D1.jpeg

Because we have it growing locally and I’ll try anything once, I managed to cut some off and removed the spines to see what would happen last summer. I got scratched, she didn’t even taste it. She wouldn’t even try the flowers.

@Cheryl Hills, I don’t think it will hurt your tort but I don’t think I’d bother unless it was cheap and I had large tortoises.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Cardoon is a thistle, like artichoke, so theoretically okay. Unprocessed cardoon—what we see growing as an invasive plant in California—is a pretty ferocious plant, with extremely large spines. It’s similar to artichoke in that it’s likely unedible raw. Yvonne, you might have seen this when it is in bloom with large purple flowers; it’s a beast up close.

View attachment 223852

Because we have it growing locally and I’ll try anything once, I managed to cut some off and removed the spines to see what would happen last summer. I got scratched, she didn’t even taste it. She wouldn’t even try the flowers.

@Cheryl Hills, I don’t think it will hurt your tort but I don’t think I’d bother unless it was cheap and I had large tortoises.
The one I have is the stalks. Looks like celery but darker. Maybe all the leaves have been removed . Looks like it would be high in fiber. Maybe I will try a little piece and see if they like it. You found the same info I did but one place also called it burdock which kind of scared me. Guess a small piece will not hurt.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I noticed that too, that the names are sometimes said to be the same thing. The leaves don’t look the same to me but burdock is similarly related to artichokes (and thus thistles) so should still be safe.

The plant is eaten in the same way: only the root is edible so all the leave are removed before going to the store. You’re just seeing the stalk, as you said. I imagine it’s chock full of fiber!

Was it expensive? It might be sold in an Asian market here but would still be pricy. If I were to find it at a fancee grocery store, I expect it would be even more expensive there. Just curious.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I got it from a food kitchen. They give me all the greens they can not use . As for burdock, the tortoise tables says no good. I wish I could feed it to my Russians, I have so much of it growing in my yard. They don’t know much about it , does not say it is toxic, just not enough info and a mild diuretic.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
As for burdock, the tortoise tables says no good. <snip> They don’t know much about it , does not say it is toxic, just not enough info and a mild diuretic.

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t, I guess. “It might be bad...or not, we don’t really know!” :/

I’d give it a shot but I’m pretty relaxed about feeding. Iced tea is a mild diuretic; I still drink it on occasion. :)

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
The cardoon offered for cooking has been "blanched" - the leaves are gathered up and tied, which causes the leaves in the center to become whiter and softer. It has a taste similar to artichoke hearts.