Carrots and water dish

Sol33

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
I have two questions sorry they're kinda unrelated to each other but yeah

1. how can I feed the carrots to my tortoise? I read somewhere that they are good for tortoises. should I chop them up or grate it on a cheese grater?

2. I asked on another thread before for advice on my tortoise because he isn't drinking water. They told me to increase the humidity and temperature. I did that now but still no result. Any advice?

Riley ann

chino
Ok I would chop and grate aswell as soaking it in warm water

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have two questions sorry they're kinda unrelated to each other but yeah

1. how can I feed the carrots to my tortoise? I read somewhere that they are good for tortoises. should I chop them up or grate it on a cheese grater?

2. I asked on another thread before for advice on my tortoise because he isn't drinking water. They told me to increase the humidity and temperature. I did that now but still no result. Any advice?

1. I wouldn't feed carrots to your leopard tortoise. Carrots are too high in sugar and it is not good for the tortoises GI tract. A small amount of pumpkin or squash mixed in with green is okay once in a while and I grate that stuff up with a cheese grater.
  2. First step is to use the correct water bowl. Have you got a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate? Next, are you soaking frequently? What size tortoise are we talking about? Babies should be soaked daily. If you are soaking daily, you are not likely to see you tortoise drink out of a bowl in the enclosure. It is also possible that he is drinking sometime during the day when you are not watching.

Sol33

Hong Kong
Thank you very much!
I do have a water bowl that is sunk into the substrate. I used to soak him once a week but I realised the problem so I started soaking 3 times a week (he hates soaking and just tries to climb out). My tortoise is not a hatchling anymore he's a baby around 4.5" in length. I don't think that he is drinking since the water level isn't decreasing at all.