Carrots - why not?

the_newzie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
las vegas
I've noticed a lot of posts recently that advise against feeding torts carrots as they are too high in sugar (i believe the specific recommendations were to feed very little to no carrot). The advice seemed to be coming from good sources so I cut it out of Steve's salad, but out of sheer curiosity I have to ask, what exactly does something high in sugar do that's detrimental to a tort? Again, I'm not doubting the advice (i followed it), I'd just like to know the "why" of the matter for my own info and knowledge going forward. Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They can't process sugars as well as other animals. The high sugar content will damage their organs over time, shortening their life span.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The idea is that too much sugar can cause a parasite bloom in their digestive system. That said, personally I think it's only a problem when fed in excess. I think the idea of "bad" foods is often taken to extremes on this forum. As long as they comprise a small amount of the overall diet, I don't think they hurt anything.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
A little carrot won't hurt, and the sugars also can cause a bloom, by upsetting the intestinal fauna, and flora.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
They can't process sugars as well as other animals. The high sugar content will damage their organs over time, shortening their life span.
Good to know! Also, can I ask, why "formerly known as"?

The idea is that too much sugar can cause a parasite bloom in their digestive system. That said, personally I think it's only a problem when fed in excess. I think the idea of "bad" foods is often taken to extremes on this forum. As long as they comprise a small amount of the overall diet, I don't think they hurt anything.
Thanks for the info! I think that I may keep a bit in his salad, but I am scaling back the amount by a fair bit (it wasn't a big percentage of his meals but probably a bit too muchif I'm honest.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Also, can I ask, why "formerly known as"?

That's classified. :)
Actually I was gone for a few months due to an illness, so I no longer felt like captain awesome, because I was gone.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
That's classified. :)
Actually I was gone for a few months due to an illness, so I no longer felt like captain awesome, because I was gone.
Well, for what it's worth, you seem like your still pretty awesome to us newbies on the threads!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(...and he's still pretty awesome to us mods too!)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Well, for what it's worth, you seem like your still pretty awesome to us newbies on the threads!!
Actually,it is worth quite a bit.