Caution: yearling wets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyclyde

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
We've now had Leopold our yearling for jus over 1 week now. He's doing great and is very active and healthy. He has this issue where he'll wet or defecate on me or my hubby when we pick him up. We are taking his handling slow, and we don't handle him casually. Still, the moment he rests in a palm, he lets go. I am worried that he is just so scared that he's wetting, or does anyone think that he is doing it for another reason? Should we handle him less/more? (Our little Ajax hasn't wee'd on us... yet).

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I would like to think he is comfortable.. but i am not sure.
Some one else might know, lets wait and see

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
When tortoises are picked up they may defecate/urinate and is used mainly as a defense mechanism.. Although this may not always be the case. They will do their “ duty” .. when relaxed…hence “ always in their water dish” .. The warmth of your hand could be another providing factor. Remember torts are not usually adapt to being up in the air …or with out solid ground under all fours..
Always sanitize if there is an incident.:D
Happy Tort~N
JD~:)

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I agree that at times, it is a defense mechanism. I noticed my babies tend to urinate more than my juvies. I wouldn't discourage you from holding them if you really want to. My daughter loves to hold them and is fully aware that just about everytime she holds them, they urinate on her, but she loves them and is really good with them.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Some lizards are also this way, especially my green basilisk.

The thing you do not want to do is, immediately put them down after defecating on you. I know, gross, but they will incorporate them defecating and you putting them down as a way to escape and will continue to do it.

For my basilisk (who now don't do it). It took a few weeks of me keeping them in my hands for 10-15minutes AFTER they defecated, before they got used to handling and would no longer do it.

mightyclyde

5 Year Member
California
thanks for the info! The gross factor doesn't play at all with us, I don't mind... and we're always sure to wash hands before/after handling no matter what. Good to know that this may be a normal reaction for a baby tort.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have 8 small tortoises and only 1 did that. So I started handling him more trying to get him used to being handled by me. He was also the one who would jump and bump my hand trying to scare me when my hand was in his habitat. I think it's a defense thing and more handling and socializing will get rid of that habit. It did with my 8th baby

Status
Not open for further replies.