CDT Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

say10

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norco, CA
Hi, I just found out through a forum on here that my sulcatas are actually CDTs. I was curious what their diet is like and if there is some special foods I should use instead of what I'm using, a mix of collard greens and dandelions with the occasional rose petals when they are outside.

Attachments

• Photo 1 (1).jpg
    Photo 1 (1).jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 55

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Welcome! What cuties! I have two juvenile CDTs (ages 3 and 5, roughly) and feed them a diet similar to the one you're describing. They also have a couple different varieties of native grasses planted in their enclosure that they like to eat. I'm a new CDT mom, too, and I'll be eager to hear what the more experienced folks here on the forum have to say on this topic.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They eat alot of the same things....the biggest difference is hay/alfalfa---CDTs likely won't be interested....

May we see a pic of their faces?

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
ascott said:
They eat alot of the same things....the biggest difference is hay/alfalfa---CDTs likely won't be interested....

May we see a pic of their faces?

They're not very interested in the ground hay pellets I put in their dish neither dry or wet they won't touch their food if I put some on there.

This is them! Sorry I don't have too many pictures of them right now that shows their faces well.

Attachments

• 576258_165422586944583_1930027885_n.jpg
    576258_165422586944583_1930027885_n.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 29
  • ced99224-59b0-4e8e-b369-09966178629b.jpg
    ced99224-59b0-4e8e-b369-09966178629b.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 26

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Their main diet should be broad leaf weeds, succulents and grasses. Store bought foods are okay, but not the best. Collards and dandelions are a good food, but neither should be used every day. Check out the plant ID section for lots of ideas on weeds to feed. You can get spineless opuntia cactus pads from most Mexican grocery stores, or grow them yourself. You can also easily grow grape leaves, african hibiscus, regular hibiscus (if it will survive in your area), and mulberry leaves. You can try red apple, ice plant, and jade plant too. Also look into Gazania, pansies, nasturtiums, carnations, geraniums and many others. At the grocery store, favor endive and escarole, but also use cilantro, carrot tops, mustard and turnip greens, bok choy, radiccio, swiss chard, watercress, parsley, all the lettuces, etc. Lots of variety is best. There are also tortoise "weed" seed mixes that you can grow. I like the "Testudo Mix" from Tortoisesupply.com.

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
thatrebecca said:
Welcome! What cuties! I have two juvenile CDTs (ages 3 and 5, roughly) and feed them a diet similar to the one you're describing. They also have a couple different varieties of native grasses planted in their enclosure that they like to eat. I'm a new CDT mom, too, and I'll be eager to hear what the more experienced folks here on the forum have to say on this topic.

Thank you! i just want to make sure theyre getting the best care they can! They don't like hay pellets ground up or wet so i doubt they'll eat grass or anything also. they devour dandelions faster than i can pick them, they're defiantly their favorites.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Click on "forums" at the top of the page, then scroll down to "Tortoise Food and Diet" and click on that. At the top of that page is a group of what we call "stickies," or important threads. In that group of threads is one called "Food for desert dwelling type tortoises..."

You will get a good idea of what to feed your desert tortoise from this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.