CDT outdoor setup- help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iyates

5 Year Member
I am setting up my yard for an adult CDT- I have dirt and mulch which is from home depot and called forest floor all natural. I have no grass or weeds! How can I quickly grow grass and what type of grass is best? -for the time being, what is good grass/hay to buy for a main food source? Does the mulch seem okay? What kind of hide should I use that I can lock up at night? Thank you! Isaac

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know much about your species. But I will try with what I can. Most hides are man made. You could buy one of those tortoise hutches and lock him in that for the nights. Or like I said, make one from wood. The mulch sounds okay. The grass. Well if you can find some chemical free, plastic mesh free sod, that the faster way available. I think the best hay is orchard or alfalfa, but not sure for your species. I would plant some plants for hiding and shade areas too. Hostas work good and are tort safe. As is, roses, hibiscus, rose of Sharon, mulberry, even dark leafy greens like kale, collard, dandelion, etc. Hope this can get you started until others come on.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
build a burrow for him. He might not eat hay.. plant as soon as you can. Or feed a good variety of weeds and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.