CDT owner ~What if you HAD to move out of state

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
The laws should be one aspect but the health and well being of the California Desert Tortoise....always. when you applied for the state permit and signed it you agreed to the state rules/regulations/laws and they do have guidelines for these guys ....as for the cost of care...really? We all know that with reptiles...heck with dogs, cats and any other pet...there are expenses that will arise...there are care costs and those you take on by housing your critter....I have a son and he costs money for the essentials...food, clothing,medical,dental, vision, video games, field trips etc....but if he moves I am not going to try to figure on collecting what I have spent LOL...

We each know how sad one would feel about the thought of having to find a home for one of our beloved Ca Desert Tortoise....and maybe naive or wishful thinking on my part...but I would like to think that the mass majority of members on this site are true and honorable to this and each and every other species.....

The Ca Desert Tortoise kept in captivity should never be released back into the wild (very sad to me but essential) CDT should never be encouraged or allowed to breed in captivity (it is not legal to knowingly house male/females together) there are so many in rescues that need a lifelong host..you can not legally sale a CDT (thank goodness) you are responsible for the well being of the CDT you host which includes housing/food/health care....sorry all, I get a bit preachy on the subject of our CDT

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Great question Jenn! Each state is different, I am referring to California and Gopherus agassizii, native to California. I know Florida laws are stiff as well, I know nothing about AZ laws, I am sure someone else can chime in here with that info. In my OPINION it's usually involves native species and their protection thereof. Sorry, I'm not much help! :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Arizona too has the rules on the Desert Tortoise....I believe that in that state they only allow one permit per household...much more strict on that rule than California....

IntoTheWildReptiles

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
Cry and cry and cry. No way I would leave California! I like it here smog and all! :p I do hate Bakersfield though!!!

Agreed. I'm getting really tired of this town. If we had to move I would rehome our tort. I wouldnt take a chance with his health.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you in Bakersfield, Brandon?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Angi said:
Hey Desert Tortoises owners,
What would you do if you had to move out of the state? Like if you had to take a job in Mississippi. Would you break the law and take your torts out of California or would you rehome them?

This is one of those things that I think about too much.

Thoughts please.

I do not currently have a CA DT, but did have the honor of being the last caretaker for one. Elmer lived thru two sets of owners, before we got the old man. Story was, he came from CA to Nebraska with the first couple. He lived here in Nebraska for many years (well over 50 but I would have to find the newspaper article to know for sure how much longer then that it was).

If it was me, I am taking my DT with me and take my chances on the legal part of it. Remember that is what I would do, no suggesting anybody to do anything illegal, you have to follow your own heart and mind. Just saying what I would do.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Jacqui said:
Angi said:
Hey Desert Tortoises owners,
What would you do if you had to move out of the state? Like if you had to take a job in Mississippi. Would you break the law and take your torts out of California or would you rehome them?

This is one of those things that I think about too much.

Thoughts please.

I do not currently have a CA DT, but did have the honor of being the last caretaker for one. Elmer lived thru two sets of owners, before we got the old man. Story was, he came from CA to Nebraska with the first couple. He lived here in Nebraska for many years (well over 50 but I would have to find the newspaper article to know for sure how much longer then that it was).

If it was me, I am taking my DT with me and take my chances on the legal part of it. Remember that is what I would do, no suggesting anybody to do anything illegal, you have to follow your own heart and mind. Just saying what I would do.
admit it , you were encouraging us all to break the law. :)
As for fines for permits I don't think you will be fined for not getting a permit, the CF&G wants them registered but I don't think any legal action is taken if they are not, I am not 100 percent but I have not heard of anyone being fined for not having a permit. As far as I know any tortoise crossing state lines needs a health certificate from a vet.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have to say I think a move would be quite an adventure, but my son and the torts make it difficult. My husband is only thinking of my son. I would not sale my house though because I would have to be able to come back. We have an average house, but our morgage is low and it is everything I need. I love San Diego and would want to retire here. Bob and Shelby are great tortoises so I am sure I could find them a good home even though I would miss them. I have to put their well being ahead of my attachment to them. I still don't think my husband will take the job, but we will see.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thanks. I am very into names. Everything has to have a fitting name. When they were tiny babies. Bob would bob his head when I rubbed it and Shelby had a shell that looked like someone had squeezed it when they picked her up. Also I liked the names. Shelby's shell is fine now. Also I have no idea what their sexes are, so Bob my turn in to a Bobara or Bobbie. Shelby can go either way.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Mississippi is back on the table. The company called my husband again. I guess the guy they hired when he turned it down didn't work out. I would stay here with the boys until the school year is over. My husband has not accepted , but he is thinking about it. It is a good stable company which is not easy to find right now. I am so sick of the stress he puts up with and affraid it is going to kill him. If I go I would be looking for a TFO member to adopt my sweet babies.. Is anyone looking to relocate to San Diego in a year LOL....I might have a house for rent that comes with torts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.