Not open for further replies.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

One of new CDT's

Hey Guys! Well yesterday was a very loooong day! As some of you may know, I made a trip to Yvonne's home in the Fresno area and back to Los Angeles in the same day. I brough back with me 11 baby CDT's. I made my first stop at Tom's Ranch...his setup is Amazing! The P.pardalis Leopards are Gorgeous...Cant wait to visit again. And then made 2 more deliveries for Shelly and Emily. Thank you again Yvonne for welcoming us into your home..Im soooo jealous of your collection!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
They are very active, have really good appetites, and do not mind being handled one bit.
babytorts.jpg

Walter, I forgot to ask if you kept any for yourself?

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
amazing!!! they look so beautiful!!
congratulations everyone on your new tortoises :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow Walter I can't believe that you made all of those trips in one day. What a nice person you are to bring back babies for Emily and Shelly. I am so happy for you that you got 2 babies for yourself. They are little Fernando's. :D I wish I could have taken one but at the last minute I realized that it would take a long time for them to get as big as Fernando and I wouldn't want to take any chances with my dogs hurting it. Anyway congratulations to all of you who got some. Pictures, pictures and more pictures please. Walter didn't you get any pictures of Yvonne with any of the tortoises? What about Yvonne with your little baby girl? :D Hey what did you do with the rest of them if you gave Emily 2 and Shelly 2 and you took two? Where's the other 5?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Candy said:
Walter didn't you get any pictures of Yvonne with any of the tortoises?

And I was wearing my Tortoise forum T-shirt that day, too. :(

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh shoot Walter I told you to take lots of pictures to post here when you got back. You missed Yvonne is her TFO shirt? :(

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Im sorry.... I was overwhelmed with her collection. I'll post more pics of the few I took. To answer you question candy... 4 for Cory, 3 for Tom, 2 for shelly, 2 for myself and 1 for emily. I'm a little concerned right now about new tortoises....The bigger one is a little sluggish not too active and the smaller one is pacing and pacing the enclosure. I soaked them both in warm water. Maybe they're tired????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just make sure they're warm enough. You may have to cover the habitat to keep out the draught. (draft??)

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ok, that makes sense. Question.. One the Tortoise's Carapace in kinda flat..is that signs of MBD??? The guy at Pet Store recommended liquid calcium since the shell is a bit soft too.

Just make sure they're warm enough. You may have to cover the habitat to keep out the draught. (draft??)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The yearling shouldn't have a softish shell, but its quite common in hatchlings, and the little one is only a month or so old. My sister uses the liquid calcium on her babies. Just remember, calcium won't work without the sun (or a UV light).

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Im sorry.... I was overwhelmed with her collection. I'll post more pics of the few I took. To answer you question candy... 4 for Cory, 3 for Tom, 2 for shelly, 2 for myself and 1 for emily. I'm a little concerned right now about new tortoises....The bigger one is a little sluggish not too active and the smaller one is pacing and pacing the enclosure. I soaked them both in warm water. Maybe they're tired????

If you need any babysitting done Walter you know who to ask. :D I've done a very good job with my two babies (Ruby and little Eddie). :p It's pretty scary the first time, but you'll get the hang of it. Let me know if you need any help with them.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I posted it. I received PM's from members. You mentioned you wanted to do a road trip..but that's the last thing I heard from you.

I am so bummed I didn't know you were going :(

M

Maggie Cummings

Hatchlings are very hard to raise. Make sure they stay warm, soak them in bird vitamins daily and I put Calcionate on their food three times a week. Don't try to feed them anything that's a little different, like hay for instance. Just feed them grass (fresh cut) weeds (dandelions), Spring Mix and add anything good the produce section has, collards, lettuces, endive raddicchio, escarole...anything like that. Make sure they stay warm and do the rest of what I suggest and they should grow fine...if one isn't eating cut up some raddicchio they can't resist it. I add 3 drops of bird vitamins to their daily water. Hatchlings are kinda soft right in the middle of the plastron but the carapace should be hard. Try to put them in the warm sun every chance you can. Only if it's WARM, I hope this helps...

It takes a little bit for them to settle down in a new place but they will...it takes a few days maybe 3...and I disagree with those who say to not handle them, I handle mine all the time and I rub their heads and legs, I caress their legs and pull on them. And then months later if you have to go to the vet for anything they are very easy to treat. They keep their heads out and they don't fight the vet...so I think handling them is a good thing...so I do it a lot...

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

They are chomping on rose pedals and weeds from the garden. I taped newspaper on most of the tank to keep in the warmth. I am currently using a 75 W Infrared Spot Lamp and a household coil bulb 25W (Contains Mercury). I will be purchasing a 10.0 UVB bulb soon..but they are so expensive!...Those the bulb Im using produce any uvb??? Also Im using a Coconut Substrate and they keep eating it... will this harm them??

Status
Not open for further replies.