CE heat sources

Shorty

Location (City and/or State)
San Miguel CA
Can someone explain to me what it means to have a CE heat source vrs a red lightbulb heat source? I understand the red light bothers their eyes and can lead to health concerns but I am confused to what CE is... Is it referring to the ceramic coil heat sources?? Are those better??

This is for Petie (a Russian) for his indoor home. Thanks

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
CHE- Ceramic Heat Emitter is a non light emitting Infrared Heater. They screw into the dome fixture which should be a ceramic base that can hadle the wattage

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
An incandescent bulb, like the red ones, gives out about 80% heat and 20% light. A CHE gives out 100% heat and no light. The CHE also dispenses its heat with longer wave radiation, which is less desiccating to the carapace.

Run your CHE in a ceramic based fixture and use a thermostat to control it and keep the temp where you want it.

I prefer the RHP to the CHE. Radiant heat panel. These spread the heat out even more and are even less desiccating to the carapace.

Shorty

San Miguel CA
An incandescent bulb, like the red ones, gives out about 80% heat and 20% light. A CHE gives out 100% heat and no light. The CHE also dispenses its heat with longer wave radiation, which is less desiccating to the carapace.

Run your CHE in a ceramic based fixture and use a thermostat to control it and keep the temp where you want it.

I prefer the RHP to the CHE. Radiant heat panel. These spread the heat out even more and are even less desiccating to the carapace.

I am a little confused. It was recremended here not to use RHP matts as they can potentially burn the tortoise so I've been leaving mine off ?

I usually keep his terrarium around 80° on the hot side and 72-78° on the cool side but I notice he gravitates to the cooler side always. When he was rescued he was rescued from a coastal beachy community so I think he may not enjoy the heat ? just an observation I've made..

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I am a little confused. It was recremended here not to use RHP matts as they can potentially burn the tortoise so I've been leaving mine off ?

I usually keep his terrarium around 80° on the hot side and 72-78° on the cool side but I notice he gravitates to the cooler side always. When he was rescued he was rescued from a coastal beachy community so I think he may not enjoy the heat ? just an observation I've made..
RHP is Radiant Heat Panel that is designed to be mounted on the top or side of the enclosure. I have a 120 Watt RHP in my new enclosure- It is Vivarium Electronics 120 Watt Radiant Heat Panel 1580670259725.pngIMG_2428.jpeg1580670259725.pngIMG_2428.jpeg

Shorty

San Miguel CA

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The under the tank is bad since a tort will burrow to get away from the heat source and wind up getting more heat. My enclosure is 3'x11' and with a 120 watt RHP and one 100 Watt CHE at the other end I have no issue maintaning 85-90 in the whole enclosure. Just slowly introduce my Leopard to the new enclosure to minimize the stress

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The under tank heaters are not good.
I used them in the past.
Mostly before the internet and before this forum.
I had two glass terrariums more or less explode from water hitting heated glass. And wood insulates against heat. So they're not effective with wooden enclosures.
Not effective and not safe.
Just like those electric reptile "hot rocks" we all used to use back in the dark ages of reptile keeping.

KronksMom

Illinois
Sorry to hijack your thread, but we're looking to get a radiant heat panel. The only thing I'm not clear on is the thermostat. Do I really need the one that reptile basics sells with theirs? I understand spending $100 on a thermostat if we had more than one tank, but with just the one it seems kinda crazy to spend more on the thermostat than the rph itself...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sorry to hijack your thread, but we're looking to get a radiant heat panel. The only thing I'm not clear on is the thermostat. Do I really need the one that reptile basics sells with theirs? I understand spending $100 on a thermostat if we had more than one tank, but with just the one it seems kinda crazy to spend more on the thermostat than the rph itself...
No, any thermostat will work. I got mine on eBay for $20