Centile charts

Helen Ruff

Location (City and/or State)
Alnwick
Hi there guys..... fairly new to this forum but as someone who is trying to be the best tort mum I’m wondering if there is any sort of centile growth chart for tortoises .? I’ve looked ... but doesn’t seem there is anything out there.
I’d find it very helpful just to track the growth expectations of my lovely six tortoises . Plenty to be found on feeding, humidity, housing etc but I’ve not seen anything as yet about a scientific based chart on growth rates.. .. I’m fully aware of species differentiation etc etc but some base-line info would be really helpful to me........answers on a postcard please ....

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Pencil or pen and sheets of paper. Trace your torts shell and add pertinent details in the corner like a key on a map. Hold together and put in front of a light and you can see through to the other pages and see the growth. Also google concentric circles this should help if you want to compare for photos- print or buy one then put tort on it and take a photo. Hope that Helps welcome and can't wait to see your torts

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
How lovely to see such a prompt response.... many thanks Black Dog..
I am doing my own growth charts ... plastron length and weight... was just exploring any scientific based charts that may be out there to make sure I’m on the right path to ensure tort health and happiness !
I’m living in the north of the Uk and it seems weather wise that ‘winter is coming’ so a teeny bit anxious that conditions are right for my 4 Sulcatas and 2 Aldabras.
Fully aware of different climates, conditions, housing and species etc etc but wondered within this forum that there was any specific documented ideas of age / plastron length/ weight ... etc.
just wanting too make sure my 6 torts are living their best life.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This doesn't exist. Largely because their growth rates can vary so tremendously and for so many reasons, that any "average" is meaningless.

I've seen six year old sulcatas that were 80+ pounds, and some that were literally 3 inches long. These are two extremes, but the weight range even for "normal" sulcatas is so variable, that there is no point in compiling data to get an average.

Having said all that, well started babies kept in humid conditions grow much faster than dry started babies that are kept in dry conditions. Even on the exact same type and quantity of food. And for whatever reason, sulcatas tend to grow much slower in areas with frozen winters, though there are occasional exceptions to this when they are housed and fed correctly. I'm reminded of Sibine's sulcatas in Germany, and Mark's sulcata here in Maryland, as notable exceptions to this generality.