Ceramic bulb problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
Well so I tested the new ceramic bulb out like 2 hours ago so when I went to check it again it wasn't warm at all! Even the 75watt heat lamp was warmer! :/ I don't understand the problem with this any ideas of why?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you talking about a CHE (ceramic heat emitter)?

I hope you saved your receipt. They are supposed to get hot almost instantly.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Is this the same "ceramic bulb" that burned you earlier today? If so, it sounded like it was getting hot then. Was it dropped?

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Yes but it only burned me because I touched it and it wasn't drop when I had it. The bulb gets hot but it doesn't really heat anything up it wouldn't even heat the substrate.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
How far away is your CHE from the substrate? Do you have a temp gun? How are you monitoring the heat?

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
What wattage is the CHE? Do you have a temp gun? Any way of testing how hot the CHE is getting? The heat from a CHE is more radiant than direct, in my opinion.

CtTortoiseMom said:
How far away is your CHE from the substrate? Do you have a temp gun? How are you monitoring the heat?

This is what happens when my wife and I are laying on two couches in the same room, both on iPads on TFO.......

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Do you have anything in the enclosure telling you what the temp is?

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
I think today was a bad day for me :( First I spent 90 dollars on only 4 stuff for the redfoot then I get burned by the CHE THEN the CHE doesn't work THEN I broked my lamp and need to pick up a new one THEN!! my phone that had all the pictures I was gonna upload here FROZE and stopped working! :( unlucky day for me...

Well not yet I was gonna pick one up today but the regular store I buy the tort stuff was renovating and weren't opening for 2 months so when I went to petsmart they didn't have any sadly

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Sounds like an overwhelming day. The initial setup costs can seem daunting. Save your receipts. Most bulbs and heating elements have warrantees. Once you get your initial setup complete, you will have more time to bargain shop for replacements. Local pet shops are often the most expensive way to go. Amazon.com and reptile shows can save you money.

Take the night off. Relax. Tomorrow is a whole new day to work on your enclosure.

Good luck.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Okay thanks :) I will probably return the bulb and order it online from a better company. But I'm more upset about the phone since I had my tort's first pic on his first day home :(

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Not to pile on to the expenses, but I recommend buying a temp gun as soon as you can. Aout $20-$30 depending on where you buy it. Mine was $26 from Home Depot. It is made by Ryobi.

A temp gun is a fast and effective way to check and measure your temps all over the enclosure.

Also, an Accurite Weather Center can be a great resource. A remote temp probe can be placed in the enclosure. The main base will give you both temperature and humidity readings.

If choosing between the two, I would get the temp gun first. Very easy to use.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
If.. you feel heat from the actual bulb, not saying touch it but if be near it, then most likely it's heating whatever thats 12 inches below. Sometimes you may not feel it heating anything since the way CHE's work is kinda thermal whatever heat waves. Having a probe or heat gun would probably work best to let you know if it's helping. When I used mine in the winter it didn't really heat up the enclosure or substrate so to speak but it heats up the torts underneath it. I had to place my hand under there for a good 5 or 10 minutes before I felt any heat come in but it works nicely... unless your bulb or fixture is totally burnt out and there is no heat coming from the bulb whatsoever :x

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Well I'm gonna see if I can buy the temp gun cause that seems useful. I'm also gonna buy another CHE to make sure it actually works. Sadly I also need to buy another fixture since my other one broked...

HarleyK

5 Year Member
If you're looking into temp guns check out the Product Reviews subforum. Also, I have two Zoo Med 100 watt CHE's and they have been practically on 24/7 for more than a year. No complaints! Make sure you have the correct wattage and measure the temp before buying a new one...may save you some time :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes to what Mao said. If the CHE is hot to touch, then it IS working. If your habitat doesn't feel warm enough, then you're gonna' have to partially cover it around the CHE so the heat goes down into the habitat instead of up towards the ceiling (heat rises).

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Well I'll see about that but I still will buy another one just incase and I will also pick up some plexiglass to cover the stuff too

Status
Not open for further replies.