Ceramic water dish problems

abclements

5 Year Member
Hey everybody, so I've been having issues with my ceramic water dish... I pour water into it and 10 minutes later it's gone... soaked right into the ceramic and transferred into my coco coir... I realized this is where it was going when a low spot started to become a pond lol I have swapped it out for a plastic plate, but I really liked the fact that the ceramic wore down his nails. Does anybody have any ideas on what to use that will hold water for at least 4-5 hours AND file down nails?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't have any problems with the ones I use . They hold water all day long and longer . I think you got one that was defected or something .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It sounds like you may have a clay saucer that was not fired correctly. I have one that is glazed on the outside and lightly glazed on the inside. I also have one that isn't glazed at all and holds water fine. I'm guessing a bad one.

abclements

5 Year Member
Hmm I bet you guys are right. I never even thought it was fired incorrectly! It was a Wal-Mart one so I wouldn't put it past them. Might have to try a different one. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I get mine from lowes and they hold water just fine. I have heard it mentioned that this happens sometimes.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I had a problem with one I bought at Walmart too but once I got one from Home Depot I was fine [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I get them from wal-mart, lowes and home depot. i always buy three or four of them so that when this happens, I have a spare. I hit about 75% that do not leak. The ones that do I mark for food dishes.