Chaco has skin problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

afeemster

5 Year Member
My 8 year old male sulcata is having some skin issues on his back
legs. Initially the skin looks sunburned and red and then it dries and
peels. Today it was peeled on both legs and raw. I am irrigating it with
an antiseptic wash from my vet and apply sulfadiazine 2x a day. Is there any advice you can give me regarding this condition. My vet called it dermatitis. It looks bad and is painful...I think he rubbed it until it peeled off. He has tort house with a hay substrate. I used heat coils for warmth. Any thoughts anyone?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe a substrate that isn't so drying like the hay. Also, could he have burnt himself on the heat coils? Maybe even for now using just paper towels for a substrate would be better, as anything else could really hurt to get on the raw areas. Good luck, hope it clears up quick.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I'm sorry your tortoise is hurting! I hope it heals quickly.

I would discontinue the heat coils right away - not suitable for tortoises as far as I know. Better to have a basking light from above, with a flat rock underneath that can help store the heat. You can use an infrared temp gun to make sure the temps are suitable (I think 95 degrees for a sulcata?).

Hay also is not a great substrate for a sulcata. Coco coir is better (you can moisten it), although I agree that while the wounds are healing, newspaper may be the best option.

Did your vet do a swab test and culture to see if it is bacterial or fungal... or whether it was a burn?

Good luck!

afeemster said:
My 8 year old male sulcata is having some skin issues on his back
legs. Initially the skin looks sunburned and red and then it dries and
peels. Today it was peeled on both legs and raw. I am irrigating it with
an antiseptic wash from my vet and apply sulfadiazine 2x a day. Is there any advice you can give me regarding this condition. My vet called it dermatitis. It looks bad and is painful...I think he rubbed it until it peeled off. He has tort house with a hay substrate. I used heat coils for warmth. Any thoughts anyone?

afeemster

5 Year Member
Well, Chaco was healing wonderfully and today I went out to feed him and both legs were cracked and bleeding. He has already gone through a round of oral antibiotics and was really doing well. I just don't get it!? What would cause him to repeat the cracking and peeling? I washed it off with a providone iodine ( diluted with water) spray covered the areas with silver cream, and gave his house a good scrub. Can the sudden warm weather have done this? What am I missing? He has hay in his house to eat, but really does't lay on it...the heat has been off a couple of days...it was 90 degrees yesterday then cooler today. Heat is back on...clean house and fresh hay. He is going to the vet Friday if no improvement soon.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I wonder if Chaco might be rubbing up against something, or pushing to get through, like possibly a chain link fence. Seen that happen before. Sulcatas are very determined when they want to go from point A to point B.

Also, suggestion. Coconut oil, virgin organic, I get it at the health food store, is antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal. If there is a skin problem, coconut oil may help. I use it, and I use it on my pets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Run your finger along the edge of the shell above the legs. If it feels very sharp, you may want to try putting on some duct tape until the legs heal. And if it IS sharp, ask your vet if he can smooth it a bit to make it less sharp.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
allergies? what else do you feed besides hay?
be careful what you use on the skin.. it could be burning or irratating it more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Something is off here. Something is somehow damaging the skin on his legs. What are "coil heaters"? Can we get a pic of the coil heaters and his enclosure? Where are you? Is he housed indoors or outdoors?

Something is not right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.