CHE distance and humidity

Seb

Location (City and/or State)
Cheshire
Hello!

I've recently installed a new CHE for my little 8 month old Hermanns tort. He seems to love the extra heat! He's roaming more and eating well. We have it on a thermostat and it's currently set at 25C/77F day and night. Does this sound okay? Also, how far from the substrate should it be positioned? We've basically guessed based on his basking bulb.

As expected, we're now having more issues keeping up the humidity. We have an open top tortoise table, which I know isn't ideal. Could putting a shower curtain over the enclosure help to manage the humidity enough?

Thanks!

Seb

Cheshire
Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone can help.

Also, I've been looking into getting a small humidifier. Is it worth it?

Jon c

Williamsville
I'm not an expert by any means, but yes keeping humidity and temps high enough for hatchtchlings is next to impossible on an open top table. It seems the best thing to keep them In til they reach proper age and weight(1-3yrs) is a closed chamber of some sort. On the high end there are pre built units with everything you need all built in that if you ask me are well worth the money. On the low end you can make a closed chamber with a Rubbermaid tote. Or as you asked you could certainly cover up what you have. Hope that helps some.

Seb

Cheshire
Yes, he has two plant pots that are kept nice and humid.

I didn't realise that they stay hatchlings for so long! I thought they would be fine in an open top table when they hit 100g (he's 70g now) so it didn't seem worth it to get a whole new enclosure. How do you know when they're okay to come out of the enclosed chamber?

Jon c

Williamsville
Yes, he has two plant pots that are kept nice and humid.

I didn't realise that they stay hatchlings for so long! I thought they would be fine in an open top table when they hit 100g (he's 70g now) so it didn't seem worth it to get a whole new enclosure. How do you know when they're okay to come out of the enclosed chamber?
[/QUOTE
Plants are not a "humid hide", an example of a "humid hide" is a Tupperware container flipped upside down with a little doorway cut into it. Always keep the substrate moist under it and it will be like a little green house. The reading should be 95-100% in there. That's a simple thing I would get on that right away, he'll love it. However be sure to not let it get to cold in there as well as you're entire enclosure( high humidity+cold temps=RI, high humidity+80° temps=healthy baby. I like to keep mine with a che over it and a thermostat inside so it's always above 80 in there. Again, so much easier with a closed chamber.

Hopefully one of the experts will be chiming in soon As far as the size of you're Tort, and how long you should keep him like this but as far as I know, it's until they are at least 4".

Seb

Cheshire
He has 2 plant pots, cut in half and filled with substrate. They only have an opening at one end. I've added picture so you can see what I mean. They do stay humid and are under the CHE so also warm. He regularly sleeps in them.

20200505_184154.jpg

I'll have a look for an alternative to his table for now. The only reason I haven't done it since joining is because I didn't think he'd be in it long enough to justify uprooting him.

Jon c

Williamsville
I see what you mean now, yeah that's cool!

I mean as long as you're tort is healthy and happy I know what you mean a out not uprooting him. Cover up what you have then if thats what you want to do or just pay constant attention to the open top but as we established, it's near impossible to keep an open top enclosure 80° or above at all times and maintain 80% humidity in a room that is 20% and 70°.