Humidity and Che

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Would the moisture from an humidifier cause a 60 Watt Che to explode... I built Pete a winter box so I can keep a close eye on him his first winter instead of keeping him in the tortoise shed like I planned.. It is 6.5 ft long & 4 ft wide. . it is a closed enclosure with an air vent on each side that can be closed or open like the ones you find in your home... I have a humidifier in there that keeps his humidity at 100 percent... I also have a Che over his stone for a hot spot. .. With the Kane heat mat che and humidifier on his ambient temperature stays around 87.. It holds the humidity so well that the plexi windows stay fogged over and hold water droplets.. I am worried that the moisture will cause the Che to pop

Pics aren't that good and humidifier was only on for a few minutes

Attachments

• 1382727099621.jpg
    1382727099621.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 1382727113979.jpg
    1382727113979.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 45

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I doubt very much if a CHE has the capabilities of explosion. Now, if you sprayed a hot CHE with cold water, it might break, but explode? no.

They are solid ceramic/porcelaine, not hollow. The ceramic has heat elements embedded in it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used CHE with my humidifier and no problems. I have even accidentally sprayed it with cold water, nothing happened except a sizzle:D. I wouldn't recommend spraying it though :)

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I was worried because I had a bulb bust while I was misting my sulcatas when they where young. It wasn't an che tho... Thank you for putting my worry to ease

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, a bulb could while misting. They would go very quickly. I have never had a CHE problem. I also have not had a problem with any bulbs and humidity. Just can't let the mist or spray get on a hot bulb.