Che without thermostat.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
Is it possible to run a che without a thermostat?
Could you reach desired temperature by raising or lowering the lamp?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes it is possible, but I don't know why you'd want to. The thermostat simply turns the heat off when you don't need it which saves money on the electric bill and keeps the temperature in your enclosure where you want it instead of too hot.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Yes it is possible, but I don't know why you'd want to. The thermostat simply turns the heat off when you don't need it which saves money on the electric bill and keeps the temperature in your enclosure where you want it instead of too hot.
Thanks for the reply. Just a temporary fix until my thermostat comes

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Instead of thermostats I use Lamp Dimmers with incandescent bulbs and CHE's. I just checked on one so I could respond to this thread and it's a 100 watt bulb,and to get the proper constant temperature I want it's reduced down to 33 watts of usage. By using these there is no need to raise or lower the the che or bulb to get the temp right you just have to adjust the slide on the lamp dimmer to achieve it.The last dimmers I bought several years were around $11 from Lowes.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Instead of thermostats I use Lamp Dimmers with incandescent bulbs and CHE's. I just checked on one so I could respond to this thread and it's a 100 watt bulb,and to get the proper constant temperature I want it's reduced down to 33 watts of usage. By using these there is no need to raise or lower the the che or bulb to get the temp right you just have to adjust the slide on the lamp dimmer to achieve it.The last dimmers I bought several years were around $11 from Lowes.
Thanks for the reply, actually already have a thermostat on the way.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I have used dimmers in the past as well and they do work My complaint was I had to adjust them from time to time and always wondered if I would wait too long to adjust. Whereas if I spend $20 on the thermostat I never have to adjust them