Do i need a thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Shoul I have a thermostat for a 100w CHE? If i do what temp should it be for a baby redfoot :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes you should. Most keepers prefer an ambient temp of 80-90 for redfooted tortoises. Depending on your enclosure and house, you might not need a 100 watt. 60 is enough in most cases.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Tom said:
Yes you should. Most keepers prefer an ambient temp of 80-90 for redfooted tortoises. Depending on your enclosure and house, you might not need a 100 watt. 60 is enough in most cases.

60 watt?

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
agree a 60W will be enough.
if you keep your 100W you should buy a thermostat for don't have too high temperatures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Every enclosure and situation is different. I like to use lower wattage bulbs where possible. For most people, most of the time, a 60 watt CHE is enough. If your enclosure is really open, or your house is really cold, you might need the 100.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Tom said:
Every enclosure and situation is different. I like to use lower wattage bulbs where possible. For most people, most of the time, a 60 watt CHE is enough. If your enclosure is really open, or your house is really cold, you might need the 100.

so if i buy a 60 watt bulb i wont need a thermostat? I dont think my home is cold because we almost never have the ac on, only when its really hot out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You still need a thermostat unless you want to sit beside your enclosure all day everyday and turn the CHE on when the enclosure gets to cool and off when it gets too warm. :D

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Tom said:
You still need a thermostat unless you want to sit beside your enclosure all day everyday and turn the CHE on when the enclosure gets to cool and off when it gets too warm. :D

Ok then but at least i tried!!!!:D:D:D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Tom said:

Tom is providing you excellent advice here. :p

My opinion, get a 100watt CHE and a thermostat. I keep my enclosures at 80ºF on the cool, dark side and ~85ºF on the warm, bright side. I know money is an issue for you, I've been running a Zoo Med 500R successfully for about a year now, but I will say it is limited. You'll have to adjust the wheel and observe the temperatures to get a good gradient for the first day or two. If you go this route with the Zoo Med 500R thermostat, set it up and have it running before you get your tortoise. This way, you'll have the proper settings ironed out and can put your baby right in with little concern. Also, if you get this thermostat you absolutely need thermometers in your enclosure to monitor what temps you're getting...fairly obvious I know. I use and like these (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MD3MFA/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20)

If you can swing it, get a better thermostat! My favorite are Spider robotics Herpstats (http://www.spyderrobotics.com/home/products.html) and I will be switching to one of these in the near future. I realize they aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Here are some others to consider:

http://www.bigappleherp.com/BAH-1000-Thermostat - this is a real nice looking thermostat at an affordable price!

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/thermometers-thermostats-and-timers/ - there are a few on this site that look solid, some swear by Helix, but opinions and experiences vary.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Yes on thermostat- it will save you headaches and money in the long run. As long as you are using a thermostat, use a 100w unit- it will run less often, heat the place up more efficiently, and last longer.

Temps should generally be in the 80-88 range, hovering just under 85 for the most part, but this is not a super finicky thing.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Madkins007 said:
Yes on thermostat- it will save you headaches and money in the long run. As long as you are using a thermostat, use a 100w unit- it will run less often, heat the place up more efficiently, and last longer.

Temps should generally be in the 80-88 range, hovering just under 85 for the most part, but this is not a super finicky thing.

Ok i will have it running 24/7, is that ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
mattgrizzlybear said:
Madkins007 said:

Ok i will have it running 24/7, is that ok?

If its on a thermostat, yes, you want it on 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.