Cheap Enclosures?

Flanman

Location (City and/or State)
Fishers Indiana
Been looking around for a while now trying to find any cheaper terrariums/enclosures for some russian torts, haven’t been able to find any so far. Anyone know any cheap glass enclosures (non-‘furnished’)

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Any particular reason you want glass? Just curious. Otherwise a bookshelf on it's back with the shelves taken out is an idea I've seen tossed around.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What size of the terrariums you are looking for? I'm worried that all off the shelf terrarium will be way too small for your Russian tortoise.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
How many torts are you wanting to house together?

Though Russians are small, they do need quite a bit of space per individual. Even females have been known to be aggressive in pair/group settings. Under-providing territory is not recommended.

REALLY large glass set ups are expensive. No getting around that. (And crazy-heavy.) You might cruise craigslist or similar second-hand venues. But be sure to give any used equipment a thorough cleaning with reptile-safe products, and be aware that the seals may have dry-rotted (so use them only on/over a leak-proof surface).

These are becoming popular and can be customized for terrestrial critters (price gets a bump when shipping comes into play, but): http://www.waterlandtubs.com/products.html
The large one the guy is standing in is the right size for a single Russian, maybe a second if they don't mind each other's company. But three or more animals trying to take their constitutionals is kind of unrealistic.

Measure twice, cut once! =))

Sa Ga

MN
I
Any particular reason you want glass? Just curious. Otherwise a bookshelf on it's back with the shelves taken out is an idea I've seen tossed around.
Actually I would love to find a good lucite one. I think wood is gross (too porous) and glass is obviously fragile and heavy. I know people say to line it, but Morla is a ferocious digger and would rip/put holes in it in no time.

I'd love to find someone who could make one for me but I haven't found anyone yet.

Sa Ga

MN
I

Actually I would love to find a good lucite one. I think wood is gross (too porous) and glass is obviously fragile and heavy. I know people say to line it, but Morla is a ferocious digger and would rip/put holes in it in no time.

I'd love to find someone who could make one for me but I haven't found anyone yet.
It is. Which is why I just cringe when I see the torts and turts at pet stores--and don't feel one ounce of shame or regret spoiling the crap out of Morla!!!

Monsieur Tortue

Los Angeles
My redfoots are raised in 4’x2’ pvc enclosures. PVC enclosures can be quite expensive but Reptile Basics makes nice, more affordable ones and S.O.G. Plastics makes the most affordable PVC enclosures I’ve found. I haven’t used them yet but have read great reviews. https://sogplastics.com/
These can still be out of some people’s desired budgets but worth it for maintaining heat and humidity with a nice aesthetic. I don’t raise Russians so I am not sure of their requirements but I use radiant heat panels and slim T5 uva/uvb Arcadia lights screwed into the top interior of the enclosures and it’s a great setup for my needs.

Attachments

• B52AD7F0-2FEB-47C4-941C-D338E2BF0B6C.jpeg
    B52AD7F0-2FEB-47C4-941C-D338E2BF0B6C.jpeg
    566.1 KB · Views: 38

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I'm big on re purposing items that I find at the local flea market.
Be constantly looking for something that is the right shape and size for use with your tortoises.

I go to the local Habitat for Humanity re-use store. Amazing the building materials that can be found for super cheap. Like 90% off the exact new materials from Home Depot.

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
My redfoots are raised in 4’x2’ pvc enclosures. PVC enclosures can be quite expensive but Reptile Basics makes nice, more affordable ones and S.O.G. Plastics makes the most affordable PVC enclosures I’ve found. I haven’t used them yet but have read great reviews. https://sogplastics.com/
These can still be out of some people’s desired budgets but worth it for maintaining heat and humidity with a nice aesthetic. I don’t raise Russians so I am not sure of their requirements but I use radiant heat panels and slim T5 uva/uvb Arcadia lights screwed into the top interior of the enclosures and it’s a great setup for my needs.

4x2 is really small for adult RF's. That's only 8 sq ft., right? I am assuming yours are very young. I believe adult RF's need like 20-25 sq ft each, or more, when indoors.

And keeping adult RF's together IMHO is a no-no. They are totally solitary in nature. One will dominate the other in a small space and the stress on the weaker RF will really harm it - food, hiding, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Been looking around for a while now trying to find any cheaper terrariums/enclosures for some russian torts, haven’t been able to find any so far. Anyone know any cheap glass enclosures (non-‘furnished’)
There is no glass enclosure commonly sold that is big enough to house a single Russian. You need to build your own. Get a 4x8' sheet of plywood and put walls and legs on it. That is the cheapest way to go. And most practical too.

Monsieur Tortue

Los Angeles
4x2 is really small for adult RF's. That's only 8 sq ft., right? I am assuming yours are very young. I believe adult RF's need like 20-25 sq ft each, or more, when indoors.

And keeping adult RF's together IMHO is a no-no. They are totally solitary in nature. One will dominate the other in a small space and the stress on the weaker RF will really harm it - food, hiding, etc.

Yep...only the little guys. It usually ranges in size/growth more so than age but they usually graduate out of the 4’x2’ after about 2 years or so.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I use hard black rubber tubs and handmade tort tables. Both tables are 5'x3'...and made from collected scrap wood...003.JPG004.JPG006.JPG

Reactions: Tom