Check my tortoise

Akash2021

Location (City and/or State)
Solapur
Here is my tortoise spike, he is an Indian star tortoise and less than a year old. I just want you guys to check if he looks good or not because he has been blowing bubbles from his nose since last month and not been lazy at all, he is extremely energetic, he plays, he enjoys and he eats...

I keep him 30min in direct sunlight.
I give him calcium and multi vit.

Attachments

• IMG_20210508_104747.jpg
    IMG_20210508_104747.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210501_085533.jpg
    IMG_20210501_085533.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 21

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
He's beautiful! He has such a nice high dome!

But of course we can't see a respiratory infection. Bubbly noses are always a concern. Frequently, RI's are caused by being too cold, and increasing heat in the enclosure is all that's needed to fix it.

If you will post some pictures of his enclosure and the lights you are using, it would be helpful. Also, post the temps in his enclosure...basking spot, warm side, cool side, and nighttime low. Are you keeping his humidity up? Is his enclosure closed, or does it have an open top?

I know it's a lot of questions, but the answers will help us figure out why this happened, and how to prevent it from happening again.

Akash2021

Solapur

But of course we can't see a respiratory infection. Bubbly noses are always a concern. Frequently, RI's are caused by being too cold, and increasing heat in the enclosure is all that's needed to fix it.

If you will post some pictures of his enclosure and the lights you are using, it would be helpful. Also, post the temps in his enclosure...basking spot, warm side, cool side, and nighttime low. Are you keeping his humidity up? Is his enclosure closed, or does it have an open top?

I know it's a lot of questions, but the answers will help us figure out why this happened, and how to prevent it from happening again.

I know it's a lot of questions, but the answers will help us figure out why this happened, and how to prevent it from happening agai
His enclosure doesn't have any light and his enclosure is only for him to sleep and the rest of the time I keep him in my terrace where there is both the shady part as well as sunny part.
I keep him 4 hours in my terrace 2 hours morning and 2 hours evening .....(my terrace is completely secure place for him)
In india temperature goes 40°c now a days and his indore enclosure is definitely higher than 20°c ...
His enclosure has nothing but ground soil and a hiding spot
I spray some water in his indore enclosure at morning
His indore enclosure has no lighting
When I saw bubbles comming from his nose and he is breathing from his mouth, I started giving his more sun exposure and warm water bath everyday and if I skipped even a single day to give him bath or Sun exposure he sneezes like crazy and excrete saliva from his mouth......

Actually I have 2 Indian star tortoise which I have separated when I saw spike unwell .....
My another tortoise name is cherry (female) which has the same day routine as my unwell tortoise spike (male) but cherry is healthy she eats she plays and enjoys ......

Both of my tortoise are completely different....
When I show food, cherry gets excited and approaches me and on the other hand spike don't even eat the food when I am near, I need to leave him alone so that he can eat....

Because of spike I am in a complete chaos.

I bought spike 3months ago and when I first bought him he was good with the same routine but I don't know what happened he suddenly gone unwell....

Akash2021

Solapur
His enclosure doesn't have any light and his enclosure is only for him to sleep and the rest of the time I keep him in my terrace where there is both the shady part as well as sunny part.
I keep him 4 hours in my terrace 2 hours morning and 2 hours evening .....(my terrace is completely secure place for him)
In india temperature goes 40°c now a days and his indore enclosure is definitely higher than 20°c ...
His enclosure has nothing but ground soil and a hiding spot
I spray some water in his indore enclosure at morning
His indore enclosure has no lighting
When I saw bubbles comming from his nose and he is breathing from his mouth, I started giving his more sun exposure and warm water bath everyday and if I skipped even a single day to give him bath or Sun exposure he sneezes like crazy and excrete saliva from his mouth......

Actually I have 2 Indian star tortoise which I have separated when I saw spike unwell .....
My another tortoise name is cherry (female) which has the same day routine as my unwell tortoise spike (male) but cherry is healthy she eats she plays and enjoys ......

Both of my tortoise are completely different....
When I show food, cherry gets excited and approaches me and on the other hand spike don't even eat the food when I am near, I need to leave him alone so that he can eat....

Because of spike I am in a complete chaos.

I bought spike 3months ago and when I first bought him he was good with the same routine but I don't know what happened he suddenly gone unwell....
She is cherry.IMG_20210121_124947.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210206_101805.jpg
    IMG_20210206_101805.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Spike is too cold at night. He needs temps of at least 27°C all the time.
For night, you need to get a ceramic heat emitter (CHE), and a thermostat to control it. The thermostat will turn the CHE on and off as needed. Also, the CHE must be plugged into a socket made of ceramic, because it will melt plastic.

Here's a CHE...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KLZCDQH/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Here's a ceramic socket...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HEMXY8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Here's a thermostat...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083Q7YRBM/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

While Spike is sick, his temp needs to be 30-32°C all the time, including at night. Keep him at this higher temp for 2 weeks after all his symptoms have gone away.