Check out and Rate my Tortoise Table please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Duluth, MN
I will attatch some pictures.... I would say this isn't the typical tortoise table.

Attachments

• house1.JPG
    house1.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 361
  • house2.JPG
    house2.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 279
  • house3.JPG
    house3.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 278
  • house4.JPG
    house4.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 219
  • house5.JPG
    house5.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 249

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
Here is the last one. I just finished the tables today, the main one has been together for a few months, I just made the 2nd. I still need to stabilize it a lot more, the bridge isn't done either. I need to add walls and carpet for traction. I just put it in so you could get an idea.

What do you think?

Thanks

Attachments

• house6.JPG
    house6.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 193

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i dig it a lot! especially the paintings. definitely a one-of-a-kind home!

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
thanks, after I get the ramp/bridge all ready I hope Tank uses it, Would it be bad to keep his food dish up their so he has to climb up to eat?

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
Also, what should I add/modify? What do you think of the substrate I'm using? It is eco earth.... I think another brand is bed a beast.... he seems to like it, but a lot of people talk about doing 50/50 with sand... what do you think about that?

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Looking better :D I like the ramp idea...only one thing - Russians are GREAT climbers so your walls will have to be high.
Kelly, another member here can atest to that ...shes has one who trys to reach "the other side" lol.

I dont think its bad for him to climb for the food.

It'll be cool to see the finished project..:)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Loooks great, I think he'll love it! I hope you post pics when it's totally done!

Yep, I have some climbers for sure, and one who took a four-foot nose dive because of it (and lived to tell!)

Hey if he'll make the climb for his food, that's great because the excersize will definately be good for him!

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
Ya, I definitely have to raise the walls on level 2
Any other additions I should be making? I'm still pretty new to tortoises. How about the substrate?

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Your substate is fine. Some people add some play sand with the eco or bed a beast.

Having the basics taken care of is key. Does that lightcan have a UVB bulb? If the bulb does not say UVB it will not have it. When I first started out I went to a pet store and they sold me a bulb and said it was UVB...it wasnt. The reason you want a good UVB is because it will help the tort to metablize (someone help me with my horriable spelling LOL) and absorb the calcium.
What temp is under the lightcan? You"ll want a good 90- 100 degree temp for basking.
Im saying 90- 100 degree as a rough ball park...Id have to go look it up again myself..

What have you been feeding?
We can move this topic over to the Russian section if need be as this post is specific to enclosure

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
Sounds great, I know tank seems to enjoy that substrate quite a bit, and it is what he lived in at the pet store so I didn't stress him by switching. I think I'm going to start moistening it a little though, not to the point of making it sticky, but just so he can burrow better.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yep it's always good to keep that kind of substrate a bit damp... not WET but just damp enough that it's not dusty!

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
I haven't quite got the carpet on the bridge yet, but tank loves going up and down, he did it on his own at least 5 time today! I'm sure I won't be able to contain him once I carpet it haha.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Nice table design. Did you seal the wood? If so with what? What type of wood is it? I love the ramp idea and with it you might not even need the log hide. My only suggestions would be higher sides, watch the corners they do like to climb there. Especially his loft (?) and is her loft attached to the walls. That might give it the stability your seeking. I do like it.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
DOI! I'm tired and I read that as "Did you steal the wood" and I'm thinking... DUDE Is there something I don't know about you lot?!? ROFL!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Looks good and fun.. It will keep Tank very busy and get the needed exercise. But as every one else says watch the sides, on the ramp and on the loft. My female russian Sveta will try to climb in her outdoor enclosure. She hooks her feet in the corners and starts climbing. Of course the sides are 3 feet so she can not get out. But looks good!!

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
Ya, we spend a while on the main portion, but the new one we just made out of scrap wood at the house. I plan to eventually make the 2nd once close to identicle to the first.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
Do you think it is big enough for a 2nd russian? I would love to get tank a buddy.

Chadam

5 Year Member
Ya looks good, I just switched to a dirt/aspen bedding mixture and our russian seems to like it and we also planted some organic garden seeds and it is making it look so natural and also give him some food down the road a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.