Checklist and questions for grow tent enclosure

nleor623

Location (City and/or State)
IN
So, I've been agonizing over how to do a better enclosure for my red foot, and for now I've settled on using a grow tent, this one in particular. It's Vivosun 4x8, 80" tall.
I'm hoping I can put it on its side to have a floor space of 8 foot by 80", only 4 feet tall.
Note: My tortoise isn't full grown, but I know red foots need a lot of space. I'm going with this option for now because she needs in a better enclosure ASAP. This seemed to be the quickest option (no building involved) and relatively cheap, so its fine if it's not a forever home. I'll probably be back soon with questions on building her that, lol.
For now I'm just looking for help to get her setup right as quickly and easily as possible--I feel like I've read over half the forums the past week, but all the info is scrambled in my head. I have read the care sheets. I have some of this stuff already, but just want to work from a blank canvas to get what's best. On that end if there's anything where there's a certain brand of something I should get, as opposed to just whatever Amazon has that looks good, please let me know!

My checklist for her enclosure:
Tarp/plastic lining
Chains for hanging lights from frame
UV--T5 HO 12% Arcadia or Zoomed, with hood. Should I get the longest possible?
Light-- Ambient LED in 5000-6500k color range, incandescent flood lamp (65w?) for light+heat. I've seen it said that redfoots don't bask so is this necessary?
Heat: CHE or radiant heat panels. I've not used the panels before so unless there's a reason they're preferable, I'll probably use CHE. I assume I'll need 2--what strength should I get?
Thermostat--I have one, but if it doesnt work for this, I think I've seen inkbird 306 recommended.
Timers for Light and UV.
Temp and humidity gauges (suggestions?)
Fixtures--other than chains, what else do I need to be able to mount the bulbs? Do I want domes for the CHE?
Temp gun
I currently use cypress mulch and coco coir substrate, but going to look into orchid bark as well.
I believe the tent comes with a floor tray, but not sure how high its sides are, and if I put the tent on its side I can't use it. I'll have tarp, but any quick and easy ideas for a bottom support?

I'll have terracotta for hides and water, slate for her food. I'll be adding plants and more into her enclosure, but I'm mostly trying to make sure I get all the essential supplies.
Thank you!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
There are many questions, excuse me if I'll miss some (feel free to ask again):
1. You don't need the longest tube for UVB. Minimal size - 24" will be enough. The whole enclosure should be lit like a tropical forest - dense plants canopy with a sun patch.
2. You can use basking bulb in redfoots enclosure, more for the "visual hint" than for temperatures. Place it near the UVB strip for the more full spectrum lightning at the "sun patch". Redfoots bask, but aren't "sun worshippers", so basking bulb isn't essential but beneficial.
3. Ambient lights - "full spectrum", non-colored grow light LEDs are essential if you plan to grow live plants. Place them as high as you can for more diffused light. I would cover 3/4 of the enclosure with ambient lightning.
4. Radiant heat panels are more expensive, give very good heating area coverage and not very effective at distances more than two feet. And as they have large surface you may struggle to fit lightning around them. For the start you can use CHE in wide domes (like chicken brooder lamps). In my opinion two CHEs are not enough, I would opt for 4 of them of lower wattage (like 60-75W) for a 8x6 enclosure.
5. You can use all CHEs on a single thermostat with a powerstrip. Thermostat should be rated for 2x more power than your heaters (most of them, actually). BN-Link and Inkbird are commonly used, so you can get either (even simplest is rated for 1000W).
6. For timers and humidity/temperature sensors you can opt for "smart" sockets and sensors like Govee, TP-Link Tapo and such. Or just get simple digital thermometers from a hardware store (less than 10 bucks for one).
7. For supporting enclosure bottom under tarp you can build a wooden frame covered with plywood/OCB board. Adding castors can be a good idea. This will also help with temperatures (enclosure will be isolated from the ground).
8. You may need to "reinforce" the enclosure frame - with all heating and lightning I cant be sure, that frame won't bend. PVC pipes should be good for that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this for indoor or outdoor?
Like said basking bulb isn't needed and it may cause much more heat than needed. Shoot for 85 temps
I would use clothes line rope to hang lights/heat, that's what I used and much easier to adjust and not extra weight on greenhouse frame
Personally 4 ceramic heat emitters would be to much, but it depends on if this is for inside or outside and what your coldest temps get while she/he is in it.
You should consider this type greenhouse. Cheaper
Usually and low enough. They come 3 feet wide but you can get 12 feet long. 1000001352.png
You would have to add tarp for floor.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
i had a 4x8x4 grow tent setup. They hold heat and humidity very well. I had 1 65 watt flood bulb for basking and 2 100 watt che’s for ambient and night heat ( i could have got away with using one) that was in a room that stayed around 68 f

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
As far as the hanging bars.. they can hold way more weight than what ur gonna be hanging so no worries

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Also just a heads up.. vivosun also has some with extra large viewing windows now. Heres and example
IMG_2288.png

Attachments

• IMG_2288.png
    IMG_2288.png
    537.9 KB · Views: 1