Greek tortoise swollen eyelids

magdalenazbinden

Location (City and/or State)
switzerland
Hi!
Usually 4-6 inches, so tortoise can fully submerge when burrowed. Using the same substrate for the whole area is fine. If using coco coir you may want to add some orchid bark or flat larger pebbles around food and water dishes to reduce the mess
Im going to use a very thin layer of bio coco coir at the bottom and fir bark on it. I just need to find it :)
So the 4-6 inches is for the whole terrarium or only in his 'cave' in the terrarium? I was also wondering if it will be easy for him to dig in because its harder than the soil. thanks :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Im going to use a very thin layer of bio coco coir at the bottom and fir bark on it. I just need to find it :)
So the 4-6 inches is for the whole terrarium or only in his 'cave' in the terrarium? I was also wondering if it will be easy for him to dig in because its harder than the soil. thanks :)
For easy burrowing it's better to make a thick layer of coco coir (coco peat, soil like substance when rehydrated from bricks) and thin layer of bark on top of it, so tortoise don't make too much mess when walking.

Don't worry about digging through bark - even hatchlings can burrow with no problems. You need fine grade orchid bark (pieces size around 1cm). It's hard to find in Europe, that's true. You can order a bag of ZooMed Reptibark or Habistat Orchid Bark from Amazon, maybe?

magdalenazbinden

switzerland
For easy burrowing it's better to make a thick layer of coco coir (coco peat, soil like substance when rehydrated from bricks) and thin layer of bark on top of it, so tortoise don't make too much mess when walking.

Don't worry about digging through bark - even hatchlings can burrow with no problems. You need fine grade orchid bark (pieces size around 1cm). It's hard to find in Europe, that's true. You can order a bag of ZooMed Reptibark or Habistat Orchid Bark from Amazon, maybe?
Morning :)
I found some but if I will show you what exactly:
1722058974666.png
1722059115946.png
Both are fir bark. The first one seems too small and the second one better. Do you think any of it is good and that about 8 liters would be enough?
Thank you!!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Morning :)
I found some but if I will show you what exactly:
View attachment 375555
View attachment 375556
Both are fir bark. The first one seems too small and the second one better. Do you think any of it is good and that about 8 liters would be enough?
Thank you!!
As of Reptibark - it's just a picture (pieces are larger in reality) and many keepers use it without problems.

I haven't used ExoTerra personally, but I think it should be good too.

Substrate volume is scares me all the time :) To get a 4 inches (10cm) layer in 3 sq. meters enclosure you need 120-140 liters of substrate... So with coir/bark combination it will be 120 liters of coir and 30 liters of bark. Per square meter: 40 liters of rehydrated coir and 10 liters of bark.

magdalenazbinden

switzerland
As of Reptibark - it's just a picture (pieces are larger in reality) and many keepers use it without problems.

I haven't used ExoTerra personally, but I think it should be good too.

Substrate volume is scares me all the time :) To get a 4 inches (10cm) layer in 3 sq. meters enclosure you need 120-140 liters of substrate... So with coir/bark combination it will be 120 liters of coir and 30 liters of bark. Per square meter: 40 liters of rehydrated coir and 10 liters of bark.
Thank you :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and thanks for trying to improve the quality of life of your Russian tortoise. You have got great help and advice already. Just a short input from me - 1. Don't go back to that vet, and 2. Absolutely stop the vitamin A injections, which are probably killing him. Good luck! Please keep us updated!

magdalenazbinden

switzerland
Hi and thanks for trying to improve the quality of life of your Russian tortoise. You have got great help and advice already. Just a short input from me - 1. Don't go back to that vet, and 2. Absolutely stop the vitamin A injections, which are probably killing him. Good luck! Please keep us updated!
Thank you! Yes, the first vet is 'off the table' now. So the little one got only one shot and we made it anyway way smaller than recommended and we stopped it just after that. I really hope this didnt cause anything bad. he seems to be a little more active now but Im guessing this is because of the baths I give him. The problem of not eating is still there. I have sth special for him (from the second vet) but there is no way i can open his mouth.