Anyone have experience with fused eyelids (from birth) opening??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Here's a new one for me! I rescued an incredibly deformed box turtle a couple of years ago. Among many deformities his eyes never opened after hatching (according to the previous owner). His eyelids were fused. He responds to light so I believe he can 'see' the difference between light and dark.
(Before everyone asks, yes, he's been to the vet and I've had many consults with people that know way more than me. I'm doing everything recommended.)

He's gained weight, learned how to eat being blind and is doing as well as I can expect for his deformity level.

So today during his normal feeding I notice his eyelids are about 1/3 open. I waved a spoon on both sides of his head and had a reaction on the left side. I didn't want to disturb him too much while eating so I put some Terramayacin on the eyes and left him alone.

I'll be contacting the people that have helped me with him prior. In the meantime, does anyone have any experience with this? Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Bumping my own thread but this is incredible!!!

I pulled Fubar out after work today and took a look at his eyes, not only were they still open but his behavior is totally different! He can see! He's going after meal worms and exploring and trying to get out of his container. Reaching for the lip and climbing. All totally different behavior. I'm so curious to see how he progresses!

Attachments

• fubar eyes.jpg
    fubar eyes.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 129

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
All I can add is that's great news. Keep updating this thread on Fubar's progress.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Interesting. Maybe try some sterile saline flushes to lubricate the eye lids in additions to the terramyacin. At this point I would also add some beta keratin foods, like carrots,squash, pumkin . It does not appear he is without eyes. The terramyacin will help once the eyes are exposed. But I would try hydration and lubrication therapy. Also rub with some sterile swab tips. Good luck hope they open.

Ohhh excellent. I didn't see the last post fantastic.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, is that great news or what. He sounds so happy too that he can see. I hope they keep opening for you and him. Keep us post. Love to hear the new things he will try now that he can see:)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats a cool thing after being blind for so long I would be running around too. Awesome go box turtle go .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree. When I thought of this I thought of Avatar when the dude that's paralyzed gets up once he's the avatar and starts running. It has got to feel so freeing.

Tech13

5 Year Member
Hooray for Fubar (and his totally awesome caregivers)!

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Update: morning of July 16
Fubar was just waking up before I left for work to day. Eyes still open, gave him a saliene flush. I'm not sure if the muscles don't work very well yet or he just doesn't know to blink! He's starting to move his eyeball a little as well.

I'm so excited to see him progress! I'll try for this weekend (no promisies) to put together a photo montage of the last 3 years with him to give better reference to everyone following this story!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
With this kind of improvement you may have to rename "Fubar".

Having a live prey like crickets might stimulate his eye usage; boxies have a great hunting instinct.

Good luck and congrats to Fubar!

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
This made my day. Thanks to you for being an awsome turtle mom. Go Fubar Go. Congratulations to you both. :)

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using TortForum mobile app

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Awww! Yay for Fubar! :D this is such a good story. :) I hope he continues to progress well. :) & you're a sweet soul to try to help him along. :) best wishes to you & Fu!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Fricken sweet....sometimes a living creature just needs to ride on the coat tail of our will until theirs is strong enough to step off and shine....awesome turtle and awesome human--good job ;)

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Poor little thing. It must be so exciting for him to see, this is just awesomely sweet!

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
What's the latest on Fubar? :)

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

Status
Not open for further replies.