Cherry head scale peeling?

j_caouette

I just noticed my one of my cherry head tortoises has one of her red scales on the top of her head peeling off. Is this common for them to do so?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I keep 4 in northeast North America and I've seen this happen during certain portions of the year. If they're dry it occurs more frequently.

How are your temps and humidity?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I just noticed my one of my cherry head tortoises has one of her red scales on the top of her head peeling off. Is this common for them to do so?
How many tortoises do you have?
I have a male that I've introduced to our group and he's been going round trying to dominate every other tortoise by trying to bite there heads. One of my females has put the dominant wannabe in his place and bit him hard, took a scale off his head, he has now calmed down although I think this male will have to go or be separated. Anyway my point is are you sure no other tortoise has bitten him/her.

j_caouette

I keep 4 in northeast North America and I've seen this happen during certain portions of the year. If they're dry it occurs more frequently.

How are your temps and humidity?
My temp is a constant 85 and humidity is around 70-80%

j_caouette

How many tortoises do you have?
I have a male that I've introduced to our group and he's been going round trying to dominate every other tortoise by trying to bite there heads. One of my females has put the dominant wannabe in his place and bit him hard, took a scale off his head, he has now calmed down although I think this male will have to go or be separated. Anyway my point is are you sure no other tortoise has bitten him/her.
I have two right now but I think the same thing is happening between them as your tortoises. The smaller one always try's to crawl into the bigger ones hide and crawl on top of each other till I separate them. Also I'm considering getting one more but scared they will try to dominate and hurt each other

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have two right now but I think the same thing is happening between them as your tortoises. The smaller one always try's to crawl into the bigger ones hide and crawl on top of each other till I separate them. Also I'm considering getting one more but scared they will try to dominate and hurt each other
You may have a dominance problem going on. Pairs are not really recommended, you may be better off getting another one, also how big is your enclosure. They need to be able to get away from each other if need be. That means offering more hiding spots than there are tortoises so they are not fighting over one hide. Put some piles of spaghnum moss in so they can dig under it.

j_caouette

You may have a dominance problem going on. Pairs are not really recommended, you may be better off getting another one, also how big is your enclosure. They need to be able to get away from each other if need be. That means offering more hiding spots than there are tortoises so they are not fighting over one hide. Put some piles of spaghnum moss in so they can dig under it.
Their enclosure is a pretty decent size but I'm going to eventually move them outdoors and I was also recommended having a third will settle down the dominance problem but wanted to see how they act with each other.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494972507.025612.jpg

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Those water dishes are not good for tortoises. The sides are too steep and tortoises can flip when trying to get out, and drown. Instead, use a Terra cota plant saucer and sink it into the ground so that the top is flush with the substrate.

Is that an open top enclosure? if so, consider converting to a closed chamber type. It would be much easier to keep temperature and humidity at proper levels.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Their enclosure is a pretty decent size but I'm going to eventually move them outdoors and I was also recommended having a third will settle down the dominance problem but wanted to see how they act with each other.View attachment 207668
Can I see a picture of the entire enclosure please. So we can see everything

j_caouette

Those water dishes are not good for tortoises. The sides are too steep and tortoises can flip when trying to get out, and drown. Instead, use a Terra cota plant saucer and sink it into the ground so that the top is flush with the substrate.

Is that an open top enclosure? if so, consider converting to a closed chamber type. It would be much easier to keep temperature and humidity at proper levels.
I just bought a terra cotta dish off amazon right now and no the enclosure had pexiglass on top except one corner where I place me Che also for more ventilation