cherry head

Status
Not open for further replies.

c.d.w.

5 Year Member
hi everyone
I have 5 tortoises all in same room in 2 different cages. They all eat well except for one, it will leterally run back into the hide box when we go to feed them. The tortoise will eat all the poop that it can find, but wont eat regular food. The room temperature is 80*, the uva and uvb light is right at 90*. I mist there cages often, so im sure they are getting humidity. Help need advice on what I can do.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I know there is another thread with a lot of the pertinent information about your tortoises, so I won't comment on that part of it here. :tort:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
c.d.w. said:
hi everyone
I have 5 tortoises all in same room in 2 different cages. They all eat well except for one, it will leterally run back into the hide box when we go to feed them. The tortoise will eat all the poop that it can find, but wont eat regular food. The room temperature is 80*, the uva and uvb light is right at 90*. I mist there cages often, so im sure they are getting humidity. Help need advice on what I can do.

Shy tortoise- that happens when you have a group. It is often the smallest or least aggressive and avoids the rest of the group. It may be too intimidated to eat with the others. Try feeding in multiple locations in the habitat. Crowding also makes things worse. How big is the cage?

Misting is almost never a really solid solution to the humidity issue- there are lots of better ways to do it. https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/Indoor-Housing/humidity-1

If you have a UVA bulb, you can remove and try to return it. ALL UVB bulbs automatically emit all the UVA your tortoise needs.

90F is a bit high for red-footeds. Not terrible, but they generally prefer 88 or less. I aim for just under 85 overall and not much hotter in the warm side.

Check out the Library, linked below. If the articles don't help, the links might.

Status
Not open for further replies.