Cherryhead costs. help??

Adam90

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota
I have been looking around for a high red or something exceptional and found this. I'm in the middle of purchasing this animal but I wanted to know if anybody with more experience than myself in keeping/breeding/selling CH could help. In your opinion does this CH hatchling look like a $400 dollar animal?? I don't think I've seen any like it for sale but maybe y'all have??? I'd just like to know if I'm getting a good deal or if this is priced a little too high? I've seen much more affordable options but I'm willing to pay a little more for an exceptional animal. (Still looking for 1 more exceptional/high red baby CH. if anybody knows where I can get one I'd appreciate it https://photos.app.goo.gl/yss1yGUXBBLCaBUZA

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I have been looking around for a high red or something exceptional and found this. I'm in the middle of purchasing this animal but I wanted to know if anybody with more experience than myself in keeping/breeding/selling CH could help. In your opinion does this CH hatchling look like a $400 dollar animal?? I don't think I've seen any like it for sale but maybe y'all have??? I'd just like to know if I'm getting a good deal or if this is priced a little too high? I've seen much more affordable options but I'm willing to pay a little more for an exceptional animal. (Still looking for 1 more exceptional/high red baby CH. if anybody knows where I can get one I'd appreciate it https://photos.app.goo.gl/yss1yGUXBBLCaBUZA
There are some like that at Tortstork for $200 and some and tortoisesupply.com for $200 as well. Also @G-stars breeds beautiful CH tortoises and the babys are $250 but I dont think he has some available rn. You should ask him. And @TylerStewart is the owner of Tortoisesupply.com

Adam90

Sarasota
There are some like that at Tortstork for $200 and some and tortoisesupply.com for $200 as well. Also @G-stars breeds beautiful CH tortoises and the babys are $250 but I dont think he has some available rn. You should ask him. And @TylerStewart is the owner of Tortoisesupply.com
Awesome thanks for the info!! I have a group of 4 at the moment and I'm looking for a really nice high-red bright color type beauty this time. Unfortunately alot (95%) refuse to send any photos it's a bummer. Call me crazy but I feel like if you're spending $300-400 on 1 animal you should at the very least be able to see what you're buying?? Thanks for the leads!??

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Awesome thanks for the info!! I have a group of 4 at the moment and I'm looking for a really nice high-red bright color type beauty this time. Unfortunately alot (95%) refuse to send any photos it's a bummer. Call me crazy but I feel like if you're spending $300-400 on 1 animal you should at the very least be able to see what you're buying?? Thanks for the leads!??
No problemo. Also I totally agree. If you are buying an animal that is that expensive and they refuse to show you more photos then I would just forget about them.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Them refusing to send pictures is not necessarily a red flag. Often the breeder has a large number of babies in one enclosure and you are just buying one from the clutch. They are not microchipped or marked in any way at that age. Them not providing photos may just be because it's impractical and they are more worried about picking the wrong one when you place your order.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I think that’s a really pretty hatchling, but with cherry heads you cannot tell with certainty what they’ll look like as adults until they are 4-5” long. Pictures of the parents would be more valuable than pictures of the hatchlings to be honest - and even then, they’ll vary a lot.

I do think that, in concept, a very nicely colored cherry head should cost more, but if I were buying this one id want to see pictures of the parents to have a good idea of what it might turn out like.

KS Ruby RF Slippers

Lafayette Indiana
Looks alot like our Ruby when we got her...boy has she grown in 3 years !

Attachments

• Ruby and dollar bill -lg..jpg
    Ruby and dollar bill -lg..jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Ruby Red-Footed Slippers on a dollar bill 3 wks old.JPG
    Ruby Red-Footed Slippers on a dollar bill 3 wks old.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 9

Adam90

Sarasota
No problemo. Also I totally agree. If you are buying an animal that is that expensive and they refuse to show you more photos then I would just forget about them.
100%. My first 2 were purchased site unseen after picture refusal from both sources and I was an idiot for it. One guy said it was "policy" because "people take advantage of them" (whatever TF that means...😒) and that I "shouldn't buy tortoises online if I'm not ok with buying site unseen" and I should "go to a reptile show if I'm that concerned."

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
100%. My first 2 were purchased site unseen after picture refusal from both sources and I was an idiot for it. One guy said it was "policy" because "people take advantage of them" (whatever TF that means...😒) and that I "shouldn't buy tortoises online if I'm not ok with buying site unseen" and I should "go to a reptile show if I'm that concerned."
Bruh. He just lost a valuable customer. 😂

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I would have reservations about purchasing a tortoise without being able to see pictures. But, to each their own.

I think $400 for a really good subadult/adult is a reasonable price. I also think it's a bit subjective...it really depends on the qualities of the tortoise and what you're willing to spend. I've certainly seen some amazing individuals selling for much more than $400ish. For example, you might see a breeder/distributer selling a highly colored and marbled northern redfoot for $1000. Marbling is less common in those populations, so that rarity translates to higher costs.

Adam90

Sarasota
Couldn't agree more my friend. I would gladly pay more for an exceptional animal.

These aren't 10 dollar hermit crabs and alot of people aren't blessed with a large amount of disposable income. Some people are out in the blazing Florida sun and humidity swinging a sledge and cutting line through swamps 40 hours a week . If I'm asking someone to spend $500 on a single animal the least I can do is provide A photo. I don't care if you've got a hundred torts that's no accuse. I could take a hundred pictures in 5 minutes or less. I sell dart frogs for $50 a piece on average and provide as many pictures as desired of every frog (I always have 50-75 on deck) All I know is it's a whole HELL of a lot harder to catch a dart frog than it is a tortoise. and the you have to make a frog sit still for a picture!! It ain't right.

Thanks for the information I appreciate it!!!

Adam90

Sarasota
BTW I ended up buying this animal for $400 with free shipping so i think it was a fair price. Its only about 55g in weight, eats well, and looks awesome. Im happy with this guy for sure.👍

Attachments

• IMG_20220503_190911332_HDR~3.jpg
    IMG_20220503_190911332_HDR~3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7