Chicken Feet?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Hello,

I got another order from Weee!, the online Asian and Hispanic grocery delivery service... this time including some chicken feet.

chix (1).jpg

I was wondering if I should feed them to my large torts whole, or dice them up to make them easier to eat?

My thought was that they'd be good protein and calcium, and also provide different textures and challenges as food-items.

Jamie

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Can the chicken bones splinter, especially if not cooked? I agree they are gross.

WillB

New York City
Definitely doesn’t know whether it’s suitable to feed them or not. However as a side note chicken feet has quite a few tendons and ligaments compared to other parts of chicken (meaning they are much chewier ) for your consideration. Also make sure their nails are removed if they haven’t been already as they are quite sharp lol!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
On a serious note, I see them very often at a high end Sushi/Oriental food place that my wife likes to eat at.
They really are something that people eat. I'll try one if we go there this Saturday

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
On a serious note, I see them very often at a high end Sushi/Oriental food place that my wife likes to eat at.
They really are something that people eat. I'll try one if we go there this Saturday
When I lived in Ecuador, people served it as a protein atop rice quite often... never my favorite, but I try to immerse myself in the places I visit/live.

Jamie

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Can the chicken bones splinter, especially if not cooked? I agree they are gross.
Cooked bones will splinter. I feed my dog raw, uncooked chicken wings (the tip that no one want to eat). I buy the whole big tray, cut the wings into three parts, I eat 2 parts (cooked, of course.) and keep the tips in the freezer until time to give to my dog. Chicken feet are good for dim sum...yum yum. For tortoises (red-foot), one should watch when feeding this to them to make sure there won't be any problems.. They don't have molars like dogs.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Blackdog ,
I am saddened.
You usually come up with a very funny video explaining how to eat chicken feet 🦶!
I miss my Russian man whom sang ever so gently -like a chicken. Or did he so d like a turkey 🦃????
Anyway,
Boo…. Blackdog = bad dog. 😖

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
That's a photo I can't unsee! I've used them for stock in the past as they are so high in collagen but even as a person who tries to be thoughtful about using up all parts of an animal I couldn't continue; the nails were more than I could deal with. I know your tortoises can eat anything but I'd clip those if it were me.