Clarification of IS and SLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
real sri lankan 2.jpgHi

I read some interested article on some Asisan website (indian, Chinese and Japanese) about IS and Sri Lankan Star tortoise. Actually, there is no way to tell from their carapace (Wider pattern or narrow pattern). And I donot think there is Sri Lankan star tortoise in America! Yes, Sri lakan and indian star has size difference, but the star from north and south Indian have big difference in size also. The only difference between indian and Sri lankan is their plastron! the attachment are the true Sri Lankan Star tortoise! There is no patten in theri carapace!

Jimmy Chu

Last edited by a moderator:

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Those pictures are both in the Terralog Turtles of the World Vol. 4. They are pictures of 2 different Sri Lankan stars. Like Silverstar said the one of the plastron is of a very old individual where the pattern has dissapeared with age. There are pictures on the forum of a Southern Indian star that this has happened to. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.
Southern Indian and Sri Lankan stars both have the same rayed pattern on their plastrons.

Danny

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
i wanted to say the same about the age and the plastron but i realize i can be opinionated so i left an opening for sumone else,lol,

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your comments, thus, if that is the case, there is no way to tell the diff between IS and SLS except you know where they original come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.