Clear eggs

Teez

Location (City and/or State)
Lake Worth Beach Florida
Can a freshly laid Sulcatas egg be fertile if it is clear? Chicken eggs have yolks whether fertile or not. Does a tortoise egg need a yolk to be fertile?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I’m not sure, but I’ve seen some people light a Flashlight in the Egg. If you flip the eggs the embryo will die.
(i think)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Can a freshly laid Sulcatas egg be fertile if it is clear? Chicken eggs have yolks whether fertile or not. Does a tortoise egg need a yolk to be fertile?
Yes they'll be clear when you candle them right when they're laid.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There is actually a large yolk. Much more yolk as a percentage of egg than a chicken egg. However, it will look mostly clear when candled for the first few weeks. The yolk color does not show through well and it looks mostly clear.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, fertile eggs will start to look yellowish and then orangish as time passes. Eventually you can see some vascularization that looks similar to an incubating chicken egg too. Chickens hatch in 21 days at 100 degrees. Sulcata eggs hatch in about 90 days at 88 degrees, so it will all take a lot longer if you are used to chicken egg time frames.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Here's a sulcata egg just laid 12 days ago. Still very clear looking...

IMG_1073.JPG

Now heres an egg from a clutch that was laid on 4/12. So this one is almost 1/2 through incubation - 42 days or so. Sorry they picture is so dark, but I was trying to get the veins to show. If you look closely, you can see the yolk has settled to the bottom and orange is visible there. On the back left is the embryo with veins extending around the egg.

IMG_1075.JPG

Teez

Lake Worth Beach Florida
There is actually a large yolk. Much more yolk as a percentage of egg than a chicken egg. However, it will look mostly clear when candled for the first few weeks. The yolk color does not show through well and it looks mostly clear.
learn something knew each day, thanks a lot

Teez

Lake Worth Beach Florida
Also, fertile eggs will start to look yellowish and then orangish as time passes. Eventually you can see some vascularization that looks similar to an incubating chicken egg too. Chickens hatch in 21 days at 100 degrees. Sulcata eggs hatch in about 90 days at 88 degrees, so it will all take a lot longer if you are used to chicken egg time frames.
The chicken comparison was just what first came to mind...i don't know much about them either. I really appreciate your information.

Teez

Lake Worth Beach Florida
Here's a sulcata egg just laid 12 days ago. Still very clear looking...

View attachment 295496

Now heres an egg from a clutch that was laid on 4/12. So this one is almost 1/2 through incubation - 42 days or so. Sorry they picture is so dark, but I was trying to get the veins to show. If you look closely, you can see the yolk has settled to the bottom and orange is visible there. On the back left is the embryo with veins extending around the egg.

View attachment 295497
very helpful, thanks....surprised at half hatched the development isn't more, I really appreciate what you've shown me

Reactions: Tom