Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Pretty normal. My buddy Dave is the one who told me about his sulcata that hunted and ate the gophers. I have seen video of wild Galops "hunting"' or rather "ambush squashing" Darwin's finches and eating them. Bert Langerwerf would use a band saw to cut up frozen turkeys and chickens to feed his tegus. Then he'd throw the leftover parts and bones in with his sulcatas. They ate it all up with no I'll effect. In my "Crying Tortoise" book it says that a lot of animals crawl into the sulcata burrows and die during the hot dry season and the sulcatas feast upon the carcasses.

So you've got a normal tortoise there. Nothing to worry about. Might want to do a fecal check every once in a while, but most bird parasites won't be able to survive in a reptile anyway.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Thanks for sharing the video.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Video of Clifford eating a bird

tortoisestew said:
LMAO! Ooops sorry people forgot there's some colorful language at the end.

LOL , that's why I hate video cameras around me.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Great looking sulcata! I'm sure they munch on dead carcasses, bone and antler in their homelands for extra calcium and protein.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Neal said:
I wish I had a bird eating tortoise...there's a mocking bird around here that thinks it's OK to sing his songs at 2am.

This brings back memories!
When I was growing up, there was a mockingbird that would decide to sing in the tree outside my upstairs bedroom window. I'd go to bed, fall asleep, then all of a sudden he'd start his repertioure.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Though I think we can all agree that's not good for a tortoise... What a great story!!

Oogway

5 Year Member
Denmark
hands down funniest thread i've ever read on the entire internet :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
chase thorn said:
not a tortoise but look at this turtle eating a pigeon!

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8rU-bLYM7Y&feature=related[/video]

Yeah, I love this clip, too. Just a little pond turtle, but it opportunistically preys on pigeons as large as itself. Fascinating. :)

Arizona Sulcata said:
Though I think we can all agree that's not good for a tortoise... What a great story!!

That's just it. I think the occasional prey item or carrion is good for a tortoise. As a regular part of their diet, it would be too low in fiber and too rich in protein, and so could cause gastrointestinal upset and problems with shell development (although the calcium in the bones would be good for the tortoise's skeleton, including the shell). But opportunistically, it is good for a tortoise to get these nutrients into its system.

Status
Not open for further replies.