Closed Chamber Convert

Strawb

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
Hi guys. So ive been reading and trying to learn from the post, topics and experience of the forum experts here as well as observing and doing my own trial and experimentation in temperature, humidity and substrate settings.

I started out with so many newbie mistakes in terms of bulbs to buy, pairs in one enclosure, substrates, etc etc etc.

This was my initial set-up in my turtle room

IMG_3843.jpg

In the end i was convinced that i would get optimal results with the 80/80 setting for temp and humidity.

Started out with placing a greenhouse tent over my tub enclosures and i got a good increase in the humidity and the stars were eating better.

IMG_4858.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

Eventually i had to go all in as i felt that the tubs were just too small for my stars. I finally got to move them in a 6’ x 3’ closed chamber and they are enjoying it!!!!

IMG_4941.jpg

IMG_4945.jpg

Ive never seen them this active before. Its just so fulfilling to see them thriving more than ever.

Set up is 100w CHE on temperature control at 31’c with a 60watt halogen flood lamp in the basking area. 2 6500k 3ft T5 flourescent tube lamps and a 12% UVB 39W T5 Arcadia tube lamp. Ambient temperature is at 30-31’c and humidity is at 80-90%

The chamber has been up for a day now and im still observing them to see if i need to change or adjust anything.

Thanks for all the tips and advice

Cheers!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love both your tub set up and use of pvc pipes for hanging lights/heat and lights and love your newest set up too.
Pleas post pictures of both your set ups in the enclosure section. People are always needing ideas on how too enclose a tub and how too hang heats/lights.

Strawb

Dubai
Love both your tub set up and use of pvc pipes for hanging lights/heat and lights and love your newest set up too.
Pleas post pictures of both your set ups in the enclosure section. People are always needing ideas on how too enclose a tub and how too hang heats/lights.

Thankyou

Here are a couple of photos from the tub pre-closed chambering

IMG_4096.jpg
IMG_3844.jpg

N

no one

I have an idea for you, my little stars love hanging out under these silk plants I have on the walls of my enclosures. Makes them feel save. I have the end of the plants on the substrate, so they can crawl under.

Exo terra silk plant ficus large. Maybe you can find some for your Stars. Just an idea, cause I really think you are doing a great job.

1129341-center-1.jpeg

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
That is a beautiful upgrade! Can post pic of the 6x3 upgrade inside?

Strawb

Dubai
That is a beautiful upgrade! Can post pic of the 6x3 upgrade inside?

Thankyou

IMG_4992.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

Still needs the Arcadia to be installed. Im having trouble looking for the 39watt T5 fixture. Most of which is available here in the local market are 21watts. Hopefully i get thos sorted in a couple of days

I still need more visual barriers i guess

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Check out www.reptilebasics.com for the light fixture. They have the Arcadia T5 HO ones for the cheapest prices I have found online. Pangea Reptile also carries them, but they are currently "sold out" with the 24" and 36" sizes.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I like the PVC idea. I have a tub enclosure for my baby sliders and I just ended up screwing the light into the wall IMG_20181020_134401527_HDR.jpg

Strawb

Dubai
Check out www.reptilebasics.com for the light fixture. They have the Arcadia T5 HO ones for the cheapest prices I have found online. Pangea Reptile also carries them, but they are currently "sold out" with the 24" and 36" sizes.

Hi. I already have the T5 HO tube with me. The issue i have with the ones from reptile basics is that they use a 110v power requirement which would mean i need a step down transformer as we use 220v power sockets here.

I will have a look at it again though.

Thanks

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Thankyou

View attachment 254812

View attachment 254813

Still needs the Arcadia to be installed. Im having trouble looking for the 39watt T5 fixture. Most of which is available here in the local market are 21watts. Hopefully i get thos sorted in a couple of days

I still need more visual barriers i guess

Stunning craftsmanahip and looks elegant. How did you make the doors?

Strawb

Dubai
Stunning craftsmanahip and looks elegant. How did you make the doors?

Thanks

Doors are made out of 18mm thk MR MDF with High Pressure Laminate pressed on both sides with a solid wood lipping on the outside of the door to hold the 6mm thk glass.

Took a lot of tips from @Markw84 build for his closed chamber like placing proper space for the all around gaps of the doors to anticipate expansion of the mdf from humidity

The only paint work done in my closed chamber is the solid wood framework on the top panel to hold the lights. All the cut and bored mdf panels were also sealed using a paint sealer and all the joints were caulked with non toxic silicon

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Thanks

Doors are made out of 18mm thk MR MDF with High Pressure Laminate pressed on both sides with a solid wood lipping on the outside of the door to hold the 6mm thk glass.

Took a lot of tips from @Markw84 build for his closed chamber like placing proper space for the all around gaps of the doors to anticipate expansion of the mdf from humidity

The only paint work done in my closed chamber is the solid wood framework on the top panel to hold the lights. All the cut and bored mdf panels were also sealed using a paint sealer and all the joints were caulked with non toxic silicon

Marvelous.

Strawb

Dubai
Added some fake plants as visual barriers and shade.

IMG_5008.jpg
IMG_5009.jpg

The closed chamber is a game changer. Humidity is at 99% with just 30-31’c ambient temp with a moist substrate

Hopefully i get good results from this set up

Strawb

Dubai
Arcadia 39W 12% UVB installed in between 2 6500k T5 fliurescent lamps

It currently sits 22” from the substrate and is on a timer from 9am - 2pm

Ambient temp during daytime is from 32-35c and night temps are on the CHE set at 31c

Humidity at 99%

The stars look healthier, they eat better and have adapted to the daily routine

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

Would appreciate your critic on the enclosure so i can improve on what i missed

Thanks

Last edited: