Closed Chamber enclosure conversion complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Bought this tv stand off Craigslist and converted it into a closed chamber for my Redfoot. Inner dimensions are 20x48. Only cost me 40$ so far, there are some some holes in the back originally for cords that I want to stick some vent caps on or cover with something nicer then tape, and I want to buy some chloroplast and create an actual bottom because the trash bag looks tacky and isn't working very great.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366001187.998034.jpg

And I need to buy some plants!

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I think that's a great closed chamber. It does all the things that any other closed chamber can do. Good job. How old is your tort?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Also, to add, the red bulb is getting replaced by a CHE in the next few days. Do you think 100w or 150w ??

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
He'll spend a lot of good time there. He should have a good healthy shell with your new enclosure. Great job! I would use 100 w because he doesn't need that much heat. Also, the enclosure is not huge, so, 100w should be enough. Do you have a temp gun? I'd not, you should get one to monitor the temps in the enclosure since it is a closed chamber. .Monitoring temps for the first few days is vital.
theelectraco said:
Age, unknown, prob 2 ish. Shell is exactly 4 inches.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
The socket fits pretty snug in the hole I made and the dome inside has one screw into the roof

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
theelectraco said:
Also, to add, the red bulb is getting replaced by a CHE in the next few days. Do you think 100w or 150w ??

I think with the lamps that low a 150 watt CHE might be to hot unless you have a dimmer. Looks great for the price:D

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I'm debating making the holes bigger and having the entire dome sit on top. I was just impatient and wanted to out it together, but I may make the holes bigger and have them on top, it just won't be as sealed as it is this way. I remember reading something to, wrote about his closed chambers only needi to be heated by one lower wattage CHE, so hopefully that will work for mine. I still want some type of light (day basking) to illuminate the cage, but I'm not sure.

I have a led light fixture with white day lights and blue dim night lights that I thought of adding to the opposite end of the hide, and just using that with two low watt Che's.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
theelectraco said:
I'm debating making the holes bigger and having the entire dome sit on top. I was just impatient and wanted to out it together, but I may make the holes bigger and have them on top, it just won't be as sealed as it is this way. I remember reading something to, wrote about his closed chambers only needi to be heated by one lower wattage CHE, so hopefully that will work for mine. I still want some type of light (day basking) to illuminate the cage, but I'm not sure.

I have a led light fixture with white day lights and blue dim night lights that I thought of adding to the opposite end of the hide, and just using that with two low watt Che's.

I have built enclosures with the lights on the top like you are thinking about doing. I drill holes in the lamp and run a bolt through it and secure it to the wood, it works fine. I have a cat so Im always going a little overkill on attaching the lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.