Closed Chamber to Open Top Enclosure

OMary

Location (City and/or State)
Moscow, ID
I have a 250g Hermann's. I am upgrading him to an open-top tortoise table. He has been in a closed chamber until now. The table will be 6X3 (an old bookcase). I am worried about providing enough heat and humidity, and pyramiding. He is completely smooth right now!

Substrate- I will use a top soil/peat moss mix. I may add a bit of sand to this, but honestly will probably omit, because I am worried about humidity.

UVB- I am thinking about using a fluorescent UVB instead of mercury vapor so that I can have it run much of the length, maybe 4'. Then I will provide a basking light.

So he will really be okay now in an open-top with a humid hide provided? He won't pyramid? He is still growing quickly, >10g/week most weeks. Ambient room temp is 70-75. This is likely what his cool end will be. This, too, is okay?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sand is not okay, can cause impaction. How old is he? Should be in closed chamber or at least high humidity for approx. 2 years. There's no guarantee that he won't or will pyramid with an open top and only a humid hide.
Check out the caresheet. Does it give an age/size for no longer needing the high humidity.

OMary

Moscow, ID
In the caresheet, @HermanniChris, prefers to add some sand to the mixture. I am not doing that yet. So far, I have never seen my guy attempt to eat anything outside his food plate, except his cuttle bone.

I think he is around 18 months. I bought him as a 2015 hatchling last fall, but I am told he is HUGE @ 250g and 4.25" if that age is accurate. The caresheet says humidity isn't as important for large juveniles (4"-6" is used in the example), they can be housed in a tortoise table, and a humid hide should be sufficient. I just want to double check what is written in the caresheet. I guess I can easily cover half or even all of his table to keep the entire humidity up if necessary.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would follow his caresheet. He knows what he's talking about. I only would not use sand. That's my choice not to take the chance that it could be stuck to food that he then eats.

Justinstarr

Chickasha ok
20161022_212448.jpg I just finished converting my workbench in the garage to be a 8' by 3' table ive read reviews alot of people favor coco fiber. I bought that and a box of excavator to build a hide along with alot of collecting from garage sales i hope it works out well. I also bought a few live plants for a winter diet.

OMary

Moscow, ID
@wellington Thanks, and I will omit the sand.

@Justinstarr That looks good. Is that just one heat lamp lighting up nearly that entire cage? Can you please post a pic when it's done? I just finished mine and need to add a liner, then fill. I have to buy the lights still too.

Justinstarr

Chickasha ok
I will use other lights including that one i was just using it for a work light at that point in time. Im seriously thinking of that flex seal stuff for a liner i just need to do some research first

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Sorry to be brief but we are in the middle of a huge move and I can't tend to the forums/social media as much as I'd like to.

At that size, whether or not he is huge for his age, air humidity is no longer of the utmost importance. Open top would be fine (closed chamber method often back fires for Hermann's anyway since they are prone to skin nodules) but allow for deep, moist substrate. Sand will never hurt in small amounts, is natural and honestly is no more of a danger than most substrates are. In fact, coco coir is becoming the new hazard due to the build up it causes in the nasal passages of tortoises. But, sand does not make it or break it so if you don't want to use it, then don't. But it should be your decision, not someone else's. Sand is natural and is found in almost every tortoise specie's habitat, however, like just about anything we use, it can get stuck in there if you have an animal that accidentally ingests too much of it. It won't hurt the moisture in the substrate though. That's just something we have to stay on top of no matter what.

You can relax a bit though, your tortoise is no longer at a super sensitive stage.

Hope this helps.

Turtlepower.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
View attachment 190277 I just finished converting my workbench in the garage to be a 8' by 3' table ive read reviews alot of people favor coco fiber. I bought that and a box of excavator to build a hide along with alot of collecting from garage sales i hope it works out well. I also bought a few live plants for a winter diet.
Just be sure to hang the light straight down and don't use the clamp. They have been known to fail. Otherwise it looks great.

Maria Ohlson

Sweden
I have Always had a substrate of sand and soil mixed 50-50. I use the same sand that you find in playgrounds.
I Have never had any tortoise getting problem from that. Adult or baby tortoise.
In nature they also have sand-soil and stones. They dont have cocoir, shaved Threes or such unnatural substrates.
Nature is my role model :)