Closed "Chambers"

briancla

Location (City and/or State)
sacramento
Tom, what do you think about running CHE in a socket with no dome at the top? do you think it would be better to have a dome to direct the heat down?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, what do you think about running CHE in a socket with no dome at the top? do you think it would be better to have a dome to direct the heat down?

If you are using it for ambient heat to heat up the whole enclosure, then I don't think you need the dome. On the other hand, I'd be super cautious about checking temps above the CHE to make sure you don't melt or burn the top of the enclosure. In general, I prefer to use radiant heat panels over CHEs. Much safer.

briancla

sacramento
hmm. well i haven't finished setting up the enclosure yet so i could change over to a heat panel. in a enclosure like mine what would you recommend. also i have a t5pro with a 12% arcadia bulb in it. i have 1 36 and a 24" i was going to link them up so the light would almost be side to side. do you think that's overkill? i was almost thinking of just running the 36 centered. i just want to make sure that i set this enclosure up correct the first time. i haven't used a lot of the stuff i bought so its not to late for me to take some of it back or switch it out.

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 89

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hmm. well i haven't finished setting up the enclosure yet so i could change over to a heat panel. in a enclosure like mine what would you recommend. also i have a t5pro with a 12% arcadia bulb in it. i have 1 36 and a 24" i was going to link them up so the light would almost be side to side. do you think that's overkill? i was almost thinking of just running the 36 centered. i just want to make sure that i set this enclosure up correct the first time. i haven't used a lot of the stuff i bought so its not to late for me to take some of it back or switch it out.
I'd use the 24" bulb (Actually 22" for HO), and an 80 watt RHP.

briancla

sacramento
i have both the the 22" and the 34" with t5s. you think one 80watt RHP would be good or should i do one on each side? i'm just trying to get this figured out, i want to make sure that they are set up good. i have a few days to figure it out. im siliconing the pond liner in in the morning. i haven't used the 22" and the 24t5 yet, so i was thinking about taking it back and just running the 34" one that they have now if it would be enough.

Tseeman

Ohio
Oh, Tom...I'm crushed! You neglected to mention my very cheap and easy "closed chamber" idea. I've mentioned it many times here on the forum and it works quite well...but its not very pretty.

I take two long sheets of aluminum foil (the kind you cook with) and I lay them side-by-side. Then I fold together the long edge of both, making one big sheet. Then I make a cover over the whole habitat including the light fixtures, similar to, but not as pretty, as Tyler's.

I created a closed chamber last night using a big storage tote with snap on lid and cut out 2 big round hokes for the fixtures and lined them with foil am I to cut holes for oxygen?

DanB

South Florida
If I had to keep my Tort in a closed chamber I'd not have a Tort. I like to walk by and look to see whats up, not go over and open it up to see. Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a closed chamber, its just not my thing. Yes I know you can have glass sides and all but then you have to clean it and with that you have to be careful what you use.

I noticed when I had my Red in a plastic bin he was always walking into it and bumping his face on it. Now that I have him in a wooden enclosure he does not bump into it.

Tseeman

Ohio
If I had to keep my Tort in a closed chamber I'd not have a Tort. I like to walk by and look to see whats up, not go over and open it up to see. Now Im not saying there is anything wrong with a closed chamber, its just not my thing.
I just set one up last night and can see everything so far working great I've never had my humidity so high

Attachments

• 20190131_210005.jpg
    20190131_210005.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 67

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I had to keep my Tort in a closed chamber I'd not have a Tort. I like to walk by and look to see whats up, not go over and open it up to see. Now Im not saying there is anything wrong with a closed chamber, its just not my thing.
I don't have mine for indoor enjoyment (however, with the Vision Cage I truly DO enjoy watching the baby desert tortoises), but rather for the peacefulness of sitting under a tree outside and watching them do their outdoor thing. Very peaceful and enjoyable.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

A closed chamber doesn't necessarily mean opaque, it refers to it being closed as regards to moisture and heating ... my tort lives in a closed chamber made out of glass and I watch him all day long.

Jamie

Tseeman

Ohio
A closed chamber doesn't necessarily mean opaque, it refers to it being closed as regards to moisture and heating ... my tort lives in a closed chamber made out of glass and I watch him all day long.

Jamie
Hey I jut made a closed chamber last night out of a 40 gal tote, should j be worried about oxygen? Is there a way to make holes but not mess up the humidity levels the whole point of me going to closed chamber

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hey I jut made a closed chamber last night out of a 40 gal tote, should j be worried about oxygen? Is there a way to make holes but not mess up the humidity levels the whole point of me going to closed chamber

I think that with most closed systems, there are enough holes (from lights and heating appliances), and frequent enough opening of the enclosure to insure adequate oxygen flow and replacement ... if your system was actually airtight, then I'd find a way to open it up to a minor degree that allowed for air exchange without sacrificing the heat/humidity gains the closed systems bring.

Jamie

Tseeman

Ohio
I think that with most closed systems, there are enough holes (from lights and heating appliances), and frequent enough opening of the enclosure to insure adequate oxygen flow and replacement ... if your system was actually airtight, then I'd find a way to open it up to a minor degree that allowed for air exchange without sacrificing the heat/humidity gains the closed systems bring.

Jamie
I just got home and cracked the lid not even a quarter inch and lost 9% in seconds I'll watch over him this weekend

Tseeman

Ohio
No, you don’t have to cut holes for oxygen. There will be enough air exchange when you open it to feed or clean the enclosure.
Well I only feed at 5 am then a snack around 5 pm and I cut the holes for the fixture pretty proper so there's not like large gaps for air I just wanna be postivie I'm not gonna suffocate him

Attachments

• 20190131_212532.jpg
    20190131_212532.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 50

jcha2013

Sacramento, CA
Oh, Tom...I'm crushed! You neglected to mention my very cheap and easy "closed chamber" idea. I've mentioned it many times here on the forum and it works quite well...but its not very pretty.

I take two long sheets of aluminum foil (the kind you cook with) and I lay them side-by-side. Then I fold together the long edge of both, making one big sheet. Then I make a cover over the whole habitat including the light fixtures, similar to, but not as pretty, as Tyler's.

Yvone, you’re a genius! I love it. Will try this asap!!

jcha2013

Sacramento, CA
Yes, it is ;) That is my little Black Cherry. She was produced by Redfoot NERD (Terry Kilgore, www.turtletary.com ) I had to have her the moment I saw her because she is just so unusual. Terry has produced a few more of the "black" ones since this one, but she was the first and also the blackest.

Actually, you don't, lol. It would be a NIGHTMARE to heat something that size and keep it humid, lol.

My opinion is that the young babies hide so much anyway, that they don't need as large of an enclosure as a juvenile. Until they reach the size where they feel more "predator proof" it is okay to use a smaller enclosure. For many however, it is just cheaper and easier to start out with the size that you are eventually going to need, rather than doing upgrades and having to keep buying new equipment. I already have all this crap so it is a lot easier for me, lol.

As far as keeping them outside... You could do something like this...

KristinasPictures161.jpg

KristinasPictures162.jpg

KristinasPictures163.jpg

KristinasPictures164.jpg

KristinasPictures166.jpg

It has a lid, too. The lid is hinged, just a wooden frame with more of the wire in it. That is where the "Three Amigos" have stayed since they came to live with me ;)

Hi there! Can I ask what are those plants in the fourth picture on the left? The leafy greens? I have some growing in my patio and I’m wasn’t sure if they were good for my tort. It grows with clovers and grass! :)

Alcapone12

Orlando
I use lower wattage heat lamps, place them right in the glass aquarium, and use a plexiglass cover to seal in the humidity. I have not had any issues with mold, shell rot, or "lack of air-flow."

My Sulcatas, Redfoot (now yearling,) and Star hatchlings have been kept this way from day one and have grown smooth. I started my Greek (yearling now also) in a a sweater box with a humid hide, and she started to pyramid. It isn't bad, but it makes me feel like a failure.

Here are some pics of my aquariums.

As you can see in this one, the heat lamps are right down in the enclosure. The one over the water dish turns it into a little "sauna" and the smaller, darker of the two babies loves to lay in it. She will put her little head on the rim and go to sleep there.

IMG00052-20110402-1312.jpg

IMG00050-20110402-1311.jpg

Here are the babies. They are bigger now (WAAAAAAYYYY past time to update pictures!)

KristinasPictures021.jpg

Here is where I kept my first Star before summer hit. You can see again the heat source is right down in there. In this case it is a 60 watt black light bulb (both this enclosure and the one above have these as a heat source with an additional florescent for light.)

KristinasPictures413686.jpg

Here is the result...

KristinasPictures113.jpg

Next is my little Redfoot. This one started out in an old Metaframe slate bottom aquarium. The hood for the tank has two incandescent sockets, which hold compact florescents, and the other hanging down is a 60 watt black light bulb.

KristinasPictures4002.jpg

Having that set up made this...

KristinasPictures009.jpg

KristinasPictures011.jpg
Great enclosure! How did you manage to get the light that's close in? Also the light over the hide is that a heat lamp? Thanks asking for my 6month old sulcata

A.Vazquez

San Antonio
How do you maintain airflow in an enclosed tank? I bought an open reptile tank with the slide on top. I see above how I can cover that with foil to enclose it (including lamp? Is that a fire hazard?) I didnt do my homework before I was mislead and brought our little one home. I've only had it a few hrs and am trying to correct all of the mistakes I have already made. I feel like a horrible tort mom

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Here's a picture of my Redfoot hatchling. A little over 5 months. Followed all the recommendations on the forum and cannot be happier with the results so far. Thanks TomScreenshot_20190606-191620~2.png