Clover and zucchini

Status
Not open for further replies.

~April~

5 Year Member
I have a baby black Greek tortoise named Petrie, he is obsessed with clover and Zucchini, I also offer spring mix, Kale, bunch of other things. I also bought zoo med grassland food but I can't seem to get him to eat anything other then clover and zucchini. How do I get him to eat more of a variety. should I just not offer him anything else? I don't want him to go hungry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This one is an easy answer: Just quit offering the zucchini and clover. Tortoises won't starve themselves. If the preferred food isn't available, he'll eventually start eating the other offerings.

On another note...the Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise food is mainly grasses. The Mediterranean tortoises prefer broad-leaf plants and weeds, so the smell of the grassland food doesn't appeal to him.

~April~

5 Year Member
Okay as long as I know he won't become sick from not eating I will leave those foods out.

And why does it say greek tortoises if that isn't the kind of food he will eat..grr. Do you know a kind of pellet food that I can get for him just to make sure he is getting everything he needs. I don't plan on using the bottled food as a main source just offer in case he needs more vitamins or foods then what he is getting from the food I am giving him.

Yvonne G said:
This one is an easy answer: Just quit offering the zucchini and clover. Tortoises won't starve themselves. If the preferred food isn't available, he'll eventually start eating the other offerings.

On another note...the Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise food is mainly grasses. The Mediterranean tortoises prefer broad-leaf plants and weeds, so the smell of the grassland food doesn't appeal to him.

~April~

5 Year Member
Okay, I will leave those foods out and offer other foods. I just didn't want him getting sick from not eating anything.

Also the zoo med bottle says for Greek Tortoises, so I got it. What type of pellet or bottled food do you suggest? I don't plan on using it as a main source of food just part of a variety. Thank you!

Yvonne G said:

Status
Not open for further replies.