Green tortoise only eating one thing

Rupert88

Location (City and/or State)
Naperville, illinois
I don’t really know what to do, my tortoise will only eat green zucchini, he will starve himself if I give him anything else. I’ve tried cactus paddles, prickly pear, kale, mustard greens, bok choy, endive, dandelion greens, apple, pumpkin, strawberries, a mixture of it all. He walks over to his plate, sniffs at it and walks away, then I feel bad after a couple days, give him zucchini, and he eats like he’s starving. Can I give him zucchini but sprinkle vitamins on it?

Rupert88

Naperville, illinois
I don’t really know what to do, my tortoise will only eat green zucchini, he will starve himself if I give him anything else. I’ve tried cactus paddles, prickly pear, kale, mustard greens, bok choy, endive, dandelion greens, apple, pumpkin, strawberries, a mixture of it all. He walks over to his plate, sniffs at it and walks away, then I feel bad after a couple days, give him zucchini, and he eats like he’s starving. Can I give him zucchini but sprinkle vitamins on it?
He also refuses the dried food for reptiles

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

What kind of tortoise are we talking about? And maybe if you load a couple pictures of the tortoise and his enclosure it will help us to help you better

Rupert88

Naperville, illinois
Hi and welcome!

What kind of tortoise are we talking about? And maybe if you load a couple pictures of the tortoise and his enclosure it will help us to help you better
He is a 8 year old Greek tortoise. His enclosure is 60” long, temporary, I just purchased a 80” long enclosure. Uvb and heat lamp/basking spot. Playsand/soil mixture

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
1. He won't starve himself to death. But yes, they can be very stubborn
2. Try to introduce new food little by a little. Chop tiny pinch of something new and mix with chopped zucchini. Then slowly increase new food's proportion. Hopefully, he will get an idea of edible greens and will eat more variety without trickery.
3. Unfortunately, feeding only one food type with vitamin supplements is not good.
4. Don't feed him fruit, it's not a healthy food for Greeks (he is totally right to ignore them).

Playsand is a risky substrate for tortoises. It can cause irritations (eyes, cloaka) and if eaten - lethal impaction (it easily sticks to food).

Rupert88

Naperville, illinois
Hello!
1. He won't starve himself to death. But yes, they can be very stubborn
2. Try to introduce new food little by a little. Chop tiny pinch of something new and mix with chopped zucchini. Then slowly increase new food's proportion. Hopefully, he will get an idea of edible greens and will eat more variety without trickery.
3. Unfortunately, feeding only one food type with vitamin supplements is not good.
4. Don't feed him fruit, it's not a healthy food for Greeks (he is totally right to ignore them).

Playsand is a risky substrate for tortoises. It can cause irritations (eyes, cloaka) and if eaten - lethal impaction (it easily sticks to food).
Okay, thank you!! Should I use the wood chip substrate?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Orchid (fir) bark is a fine option, not messy, doesn't mold and holds humidity. Sometimes can be found in HomeDepot or plant nurseries. And there was an inexpensive offer at Chewy some time ago.

Coco coir works too, but it's more messy and bit more prone to mold.

Aspen bedding, peat moss, wood shavings and such should not be used. Plain dirt from the yard could be used as a last resort, however it should be guaranteed to be free of fertilizers, pesticides and composted toxic plant leftovers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The indoor enclosure needs to be 48x96 inches minimum and bigger would be better. The outdoor enclosure for fair weather should be even larger.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low? How are you achieving those temps? What heating and lighting equipment?

At this time of year they want to brumate, so appetite will be at a minimum. How long have you had him? If you don't want him to brumate, you will need to take some steps and make some adjustments to try and convince him to stay up instead. Its not easy sometimes.

All of these threads will help you. Pics of the enclosure and tortoise will help us.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
He’s super active, and everything is great with him, just won’t eat anything else
Hello and welcome. My Russian loves zucchini too. I use a little chunk now and then just to get something in him he normally wouldn't even try. So like every one said keep trying to introduce other foods maybe minced up on top of it. My Russian doesn't eat well after he gets some zucchini because it fills his gut too much. But I will use it if I need to. At least you know your torts acheles heel 🤗