Co-habitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyang333

5 Year Member
Hi there all, I have a question and I apologize if this has been addressed before in the forum...

Yesterday my parents went to PetSmart to get some turtle food for Salmonella, my Mississippi False Map, and they decided to get another turtle while they were there. They are intent on keeping the two turtles together. I believe they got a Red Ear Slider, and I believe it is a male. It's about the same size as Salmonella, so size shouldn't be a problem I don't believe. I was wondering though, could you keep two different turtles together? And I was told on this board that Salmonella was a female, and I don't want the two possibly mating and having some cross-breed of False Map Sliders, if that is even possible.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Red-eared sliders and Mississippi map turtles are found together in the wild, so should do fine together. If they can't find partners of the same species they will breed and produce fertile eggs. I've raised up a few map turtle/red-eared slider hybrids.

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I just had to chime in that Salmonella is the most awesome turtle name I've ever heard. :)

gyang333

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
I just had to chime in that Salmonella is the most awesome turtle name I've ever heard. :)

haha thanks!

egyptiandan said:
Red-eared sliders and Mississippi map turtles are found together in the wild, so should do fine together. If they can't find partners of the same species they will breed and produce fertile eggs. I've raised up a few map turtle/red-eared slider hybrids.

Danny

okay, thank you for that bit of information. I told my parents and my brother to keep an eye out for any possible aggression, but my brother says the red ear slider is usually in his shell, and I told him that's normal because of new surroundings and stuff.
I am not that interested in having turtle babies lol.

On the off chance that happens, I won't have to incubate the eggs like I would have to with tortoise eggs right?

Status
Not open for further replies.