Thinking about getting a turtle, any suggestions?

Travis

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
I'm currently the owner of 3 red foots. Two hatchlings about 6 months old and one 3 year old red-foot. I've been thinking of expanding my tortoise/turtle collection for quite some time and believe I'm ready to get myself a turtle or 3.

I'm thinking of getting 3 hatchling Mississippi Map Turtles. I know what type of food and such to feed them, but I'm not sure about what size aquarium they should have. I am aware of their size when they're in adulthood. I also know that they will need basking area, hiding areas and all the fancy stuff.

Besides aquarium size, do any of you have any suggestions I could/should do?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My map turtle is really feisty, he will fight you if you lightly tap on his shell and try to push you off.

That being said, my concern is about having 3, and then not realizing what sex they will be as they mature. If you are planning to get an aquarium that will be able to fit 3 fully grown females as they are larger, I suppose that's fine, or if you are willing to separate them if you end up having 3 males and they don't get along.

My suggestion is to get 1, work out the kinks and beginners mistakes (I had quite a few) and then go from there if you decide you would like more.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Red ear slider turtles become very people oriented. If you're looking for an interactive turtle, that's the way to go.

Maverick

5 Year Member
Petco has their dollar per gallon tank sale on till November 5th. Not sure how big you need but it's up to 55 gallons, they also had 40 gallon breeders for $40. That's a pretty good deal. Hope this helps.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I agree with Crimson: Start slow and work out the kinks. They are so stinkin' cute as hatchlings, you will want several. But they grow, they possibly have conflicts, and the tank gets dirtier than you might have thought. I have a Southern Painted that I raised outdoors in the pond, but they are good sized for aquarium--about 5 inches. It is a bit shyer than the RES.

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I'd recommend red ear sliders or eastern painted turtles. Both very interactive and hardy species.