co-habitation??

blktalon97

We currently have a one gear old sully and are thinking about adopting another. Is there a problem with them co existing? Are they territorial? I just don't Want to mess up the good thing we have going with our sully! Thanks for the input!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
They Are territorial. The more you add the larger the enclosure needs to be, and triple or quadruple the options of hides and site barriers in the enclosure. Even at a year old they can dominate or bully one another. So be prepared to utilize a completely separate enclosure. Sometimes nothing happens out of the ordinary like bullying but it's a definite possibility and matter of time. Especially if the one you have is already claimed its environment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcatas should not be kept in pairs. They do not want or like company. They can sometimes get along in groups, but even that fails some of the time. Pairs almost always fail. Even if you don't see overt signs of aggression and direct attacks, it is still very stressful on them. Here is a thread on it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

If you want another one (...and who doesn't, right?) just give the new one its own separate enclosure.

Jenblalock003

I had my two together first 6 mth. One grew a lot faster than the other. Obviously he was more dominant and ate all the other's food. The smaller one stayed in the his hide all day. Now they are separated and I can tell that the smaller one is less stressed and growing.

boris'mommy

Pleasant Hill, Ca
I agree it's never a good idea to introduce another of any species to an enclosure already claimed by the first, but I just had to come in and say if you are going to try out a pair, which again I don't believe is a good idea just make sure to at least start off by putting the new guy in a different enclosure. Even if you receive them from a high quality breeder without at least 2 weeks in quarantine to make sure they're healthy you are putting your original tort in danger of becoming ill. If you decide to adopt another little love or not I want to wish you all the luck with your little guy <3