coco fiber + top soil substrate

Finn

Location (City and/or State)
Incheon
Sorry if these questions are already on the forum, which I know they must be.
For background info, the previous owner of my tortoise was using a mat that looked too slippery. So I ordered coco fiber the day I got the tortoise. I received them a few hours ago and mixed it with top soil.

1. It looks like my tort will eat nir substrate one way or the other. They kind of stick to nem. Is it okay if my tort eat the substrate(with food, water, from the ground itself)? Should I try buying reptibark to use around food/water source to decrease the frequency?

2. Do marginated tortoises like burrowing? What would be the minimum depth of the substrate?

3. My tortoise doesn't poop during nir soak(sadly for me). So I guess I'll have to spot clean that and left over food. But do I also spot clean when ne urinates? If do, will that spot be obvious? If don't, does it smell bad?

Partial answers are also welcomed! I'd appreciate all your answers. :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I put a two inch layer of reptibark on top of my coir to make it easier to clean water dish and find the poo :) its ok if he eats a bit stuck on food but if he goes after big mouthfuls of it on his own, then you would want to look into other options. Most torts like to dig I think so 6 inches is pretty good and deap. I made areas were its 4 and some where its 7 or so to keep it interesting.

Finn

Incheon
First of all, thank you :) !
I did see nem eating the substrate on nir own this evening(it's 10:28 pm here). Should I be worried?

And what substrate should I use then? I'm not really sure if I want to go back to no-substrate as the previous owner did.
I don't know why, but ne tries to eat EVERYTHING. Even tries to eat a rock I put in the enclosure. I'm glad I put in a big one. I tried newspapers temporarily before the coco fiber arrived, but ne tried eating that too(I personally picked it out of nir mouth). They were not even ripped or anything. just flat, but it didn't stop nem. So I got rid of the newspaper almost the minute I put it in.

I didn't starve nem or anything. Actually, there was food right there when ne tried eating all those stuff. And ne did eat the food I offered! This is rather frustrating, haha.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
There was a thread a while back about torts trying to eat rocks. It was somewhat agreed there was some type of mineral defficainy? Do you give calcium supllement/cuttle bone? Also, coc coir is fine to ingest, it is very passable. I do catch mine eating his coir sometimes, even after I JUST put food in his bowl! Maybe it tastes good :D M y russian doesn't dig too much (weird guy lol) but I usuallly use 5-6'' :)