Coconut coir

Status
Not open for further replies.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
It is what I (and it seems many others) use and my tortoise loves it. Easy to manage and great water retention w/o mold/fungus. Only downside is that it can be a real mess sometimes.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I really like the stuff. But I am not a fan of the bricks you soak to much. Cooper is all stained from it but I just bath him everyday and scrub it off. I like the bags you can get then I can put the amount of water in it that I want.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I use coco coir, and I love it. The terms "coco coir" and "coco fiber" are used pretty much interchangeably. Technically, though, "coir" refers to small particles, while "fiber" refers to slightly longer shreds of the same material. Coco chips are the largest pieces of coconut husk available. The smaller the particle, though, the higher the moisture-holding capacity.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
cemmons12 said:
I really like the stuff. But I am not a fan of the bricks you soak to much. Cooper is all stained from it but I just bath him everyday and scrub it off. I like the bags you can get then I can put the amount of water in it that I want.

My guys are all dirty from it too! I like the bricks because they are a lot less messy and easier to get wet...but does the bags really help him stay cleaner? What do you scrub him off with? Mine need a good scrub down.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
LuckysGirl007 said:
cemmons12 said:

My guys are all dirty from it too! I like the bricks because they are a lot less messy and easier to get wet...but does the bags really help him stay cleaner? What do you scrub him off with? Mine need a good scrub down.

Sorry, I have not been on much so I just now seen this. I use baby shampoo on him. I figure its about the safest thing I can use on him. I use a tooth brush on some spots and a bath squishy with the baby shampoo on it. Hope this helps! :)

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I'd be cautious of baby shampoo, that's just personal preference. There are a lot of chemicals in commercial soaps, especially those containing numbing agents (no sting baby soaps) etc I mill my own soap, detergent etc because of the toxins in soaps :/

Status
Not open for further replies.