Coconut fibre for russian tortoise?

Donatello

Brought my little guy home and i am using coconut fibre. He had bark in his enclosure at the pet store. Just wanted to make sure this was ok?. He seems to like it so far. Hes digging away :)

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I use it also. The only thing I absolutely hate about it is that it gets on everything. I always spray my torts head to get the dirt to come off as well as make sure their plate is large enough for them to get on to keep the dirt from sticking to their food to avoid impaction.

Donatello

Soon as i brought him home he went right in his water dish and substrate was everywhere lol. He is currently in a 40 gallon tote but my friend and i are going next saturday to lowes for tortoise table wood :). Super excited. Ive been reading about u.v.b bulbs do you think this one is o.k just for his temporary enclosrue.1391900445669.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I would say yes.. I use that bulb to grow plants. There are many a post about the uvb bulbs. I don't wanna give any bad advice on the bulbs..

Donatello

The only thing i am having a issue with is he is covering his water dish in the substrate like crazy. I just had to dump it out.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Coconut fibre for russian tortoise?

Donatello said:
Soon as i brought him home he went right in his water dish and substrate was everywhere lol. He is currently in a 40 gallon tote but my friend and i are going next saturday to lowes for tortoise table wood :). Super excited. Ive been reading about u.v.b bulbs do you think this one is o.k just for his temporary enclosrue.

Those bulbs(coil) have been known to burn tortoise's eyes. Honestly I would just try to get him some natural sun until u can get a new bulb and bring that bulb back.

sam1989

I heard about the spiral bulbs burning eyes but which is the best UVB to buy?

Donatello

Oh no..well i just got it today so ill return it tomorrow. Which would be better? It is 15 degrees here so he cant be outside right now. Also the pet store told me to buy a red bulb its only 100 watts. I am gonna be returning that aswell due to it only being about 77 degrees in their and i heard his basking spot needs to be 90. So bumping it up to 150. Is the red bulb ok?

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Colored bulbs have been involved in tortoises eating their substrate. I would not use a red bulb..

Donatello

I know lights are suppose to go off at night. But due to it being only that temp and the store being closed i am leaving it on the rest of the night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pease go to the top of the Russian page and read the care sheet. All of these questions and many more are answered there. Also click the top link in my signature and give that a read through. It will help you.

It needs to be near 100 directly under the basking light. Coco coir is fine. They need it cool and dark at night, so no need to leave the bulb on unless your house gets less than 50 degrees.

Donatello

Oh goodness the pet store was not much help.. thank goodness for you guys. I will return both bulbs tomorrow. Any idea what kind of bulbs are best? I know the tube uvb lights are awesome but i dont have a lid for the tote. So nothing for it to sit on. I am using the black domes with the clips. This enclosure is temporary and he will be in the wooden tortoise table probably by next tuesday. Thanks

Didnt see your comment Tom i will do that right now thanks.