Coconut Shell

Alena

5 Year Member
Is a real coconut shell safe to use as a hide for a 2 year old Cherryheaded redfoot?

I am planning on cleaning out the fruit . Afterwards, I will sand it inside & out. Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Alena

5 Year Member
Seems like a good natural choice for a hidey spot. Probably more natural than “tupperware” :)
This hide will be on the warmer side of the enclosure. I will try it ! Thank you for replying. [emoji41]

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I've seen them used before, but won't that be a little small for a 2yr old Redfoot?

Alena

5 Year Member
I've seen them used before, but won't that be a little small for a 2yr old Redfoot?
Maui is a cherryheaded red foot. Smaller version redfoot. I have a smaller fake coconut hide we used from 1 month old. Maui loves it but can't fit in it anymore. I tried using planter cut in half for over 6 months. Maui went inside of it a couple of times then moves it out, flips it! Funny! I have a good size coconut I cleaned out last night. I plan on using a dremel tool to make the opening for the door. The bottom is 5 inches wide. This will work for a few months. Maui is approximately 4 inches. I attached a photo of the coconut. I will sand the inside and outside of it today. 1547646310784.jpeg

Alena

5 Year Member
Well now! You might be right ! Funny but I didn't realize how big Maui really is now. I have larger (Brown Burmese Mountain tortoise and Black Burmese Mountain tortoise) which throws off my perspective when it comes to size for Maui. A photo attached of Maui next to her older hide verses the coconut I planned on using. It might work for a month! Geez. Thank you for pointing that out. I still see Maui as a tiny tiny tortoise. [emoji41] 20190116_075645.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
He even looks too big for my scrap 8” sewer pipe hide. Looks like a double the size of a normal shoe box may be in order.Lovely Tortie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Great idea! Might not last long though. My Redfoot was 2
Well now! You might be right ! Funny but I didn't realize how big Maui really is now. I have larger (Brown Burmese Mountain tortoise and Black Burmese Mountain tortoise) which throws off my perspective when it comes to size for Maui. A photo attached of Maui next to her older hide verses the coconut I planned on using. It might work for a month! Geez. Thank you for pointing that out. I still see Maui as a tiny tiny tortoise. [emoji41] View attachment 262473
My Redfoot went from 350g and 4" in his 2-3yr to 6"plus and almost a 1000g. Get ready to see some real growth!

Alena

5 Year Member
Great idea! Might not last long though. My Redfoot was 2

My Redfoot went from 350g and 4" in his 2-3yr to 6"plus and almost a 1000g. Get ready to see some real growth!
Is yours a Cherryhead redfoot tortoise? Maui is a cherryheaded redfoot. I believe cherryheads are the smaller redfoot. It appears Maui is growing fast...faster than I expected for sure.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Is yours a Cherryhead redfoot tortoise? Maui is a cherryheaded redfoot. I believe cherryheads are the smaller redfoot. It appears Maui is growing fast...faster than I expected for sure.
Mine is a Northern but most likely has some Brazilian Cherry head blood because he recently started Marbling.IMG_20190114_163522329.jpg IMG_20190115_184157042.jpg

Alena

5 Year Member
Mine is a Northern but most likely has some Brazilian Cherry head blood because he recently started Marbling.View attachment 262491 View attachment 262492
Beautiful! Goodness, I see what you mean by the growth! I've decided to make my own indoor enclosure out of marine grade pvc . I better get it started soon. I am still researching and figuring things out as far as which is safer for Maui. The food grade /marine grade is my pick so far. I plan on completing one by June 2019. I will build another one for my Russian Tortoise that I adopted. Thank you for sharing your pictures.