Coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xander

5 Year Member
I am trying to get rid of some ants at my house and I read that putting coffee grounds on and around their mound will kill them. Is it ok to do with my tort? He is in an indoor incloser most of the time but does graze our yard every day, supervised of course. I was just wondering everyones thoughts on this. Or does anyone else have a better method. I have a tort, a dog, a cat, and a 3yr old son. So it would have to be safe for all of them.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Drew.

clare n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex uk
I'm also having ant problems so I'd love to know too... :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Depends on the ants. For the stinging red ants or big carpenter ants out here, I use ant granules. It's poison, but they take it underground to the queen and the colony. I just sprinkle some around the entrance to the ant lair and then cover it somehow so nothing can get to it while the ants carry it down. Usually only takes a couple hours.

For the little teeny black ants that run in the long trails, I like the Terro ant baits. Just set them out, right in the ants path. They pick up the stuff and take it to their queen and colony. This stuff is just boric acid and sugar water, so really not toxic at all.

For each of these, you just have to leave them out and let the ants do their thing. Pretty soon, no more ants...

Status
Not open for further replies.