COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
We have had cornfield fires reported on our local news tonight. No lives lost, but a stable block is looking like charcoal
Such a shame. Do they think it was arson?
The last few years almost all our forest and mountain fires have been caused through arson by kids or young adults.
A few years ago there were fires on at least 6 if not more hills and mountains in the valleys - all coordinated via social media.
I think the arsonists were all arrested though.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Such a shame. Do they think it was arson?
The last few years almost all our forest and mountain fires have been caused by arson by kids or young adults.
A few years ago there were fires on at least 6 if not more hills and mountains in the valleys - all coordinated via social media.
I think the arsonists were all arrested though.
This one they think was started by sparks from a bonfire. The ones near Canterbury at the weekend they suspect as arson

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
37194067_10155255842551920_1757374912420380672_o.jpg

Someone posted this on FB on Sat. It's spread all over both hills since then.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
You are welcome. And I hope it does not interfere too much. As we miss you when you are not posting your funny comments and little stories. Speaking of which how are your little ones doing?

Everyone is quite well, thank you!
Jacques has apparently realized that mud turtles are often nocturnal, so I don’t see her out much during the day.[emoji53]

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Jacques is pushing her luck! She seems to have turned into a moody teenager!
It must be that time of year!
Lola is still not eating as much as he used to without some persuasion i.e me feeding him.
I believe he would let himself starve if I didn't.
He went 3 days with only the minimum amount of food when I left him to his own devices.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
So the UK heatwave continues and so does the drought.

We are very fortunate here in the south east as we actually have water. We get very little rain at the best of times and this area is pretty densely populated compared with other parts of the country. Our water company has been forced to repair leaks properly and also has built a pipe between the big river Medway and the Bewl Water reservoir so Bewl can be topped up from the river when the river is running very high.

As a result Bewl was at 94% capacity when the heatwave started and weeks later is at 90% now. No hosepipe bans here this year. We are being asked to be careful, but we are so used to being careful that it isn't a hardship. The lawn is dead, but will come again when it does rain. I am watering my new plants thoroughly twice a week and using waste water from washing up, etc in between.

Up in the north west of England the situation is very different. This is the wettest part of the country and the prolonged drought is unusual for them. It has also exposed years of mismanagement and underinvestment by the area water company up there; they got away with it because it is always raining there. There is a reason that The Lake District, the famous tourist area, has so many lakes! The reservoirs there are at 35-40% capacity and dwindling rapidly. :(
Oh dear. Does that mean that they will be doing the same as us then and limiting the intake per person allowed? Our dams are about 50% but the restrictions have not been lifted and they say they will only lift them once the dams are over 80%. Our summers are dry so they are planning ahead.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I saw on the BBC weather this evening that rain is forecast for most areas on Friday but you have a yellow warning for your area, Linda.
Having said that we had a yellow warning last week and had a shower for 10 mins!
I am looking forward to a good drenching to help with those fires.
They are mainly under control but have been so widespread they are still smouldering and fires keep starting up again.
Our lovely hills are black and heard there are hundreds of dead birds:(
[emoji22] [emoji22]