COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wifey cooked up one of our favorite (Korean) dishes tonight.

From Wiki -

Bibimbap - from Korean bibimbap [pi.bim.p͈ap̚]), sometimes romanized as bi bim bap or bi bim bop, is a Korean dish. The word literally means "mixed rice". Bibimbap is served as a bowl of warm white rice topped with namul (sautéed and seasoned vegetables) and gochujang (chili pepper paste), soy sauce, or doenjang (a fermented soybean paste). A raw or fried egg and sliced meat (usually beef) are common additions. The hot dish is stirred together thoroughly just before eating.

Here’s a pix, but we don’t eat/add any meat

From the top, home made pickled red saurkraut, cucumber in rice vinegar, sauteed mushrooms in garlic-gingerxsoy sauce and honey, pickled carrots, and sauteed spinach with garlic topped with sesame seeds. In the center a fried egg, and it all sits atop a bed of jasmine rice.

B961C710-3A00-4FF6-8B93-25E6C8CA1622.jpeg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Welcome to the Cold Dark Rooms, I cannot remember if we have introduced you to the way we do things and or greet all new comers, so bare with me if we already have.

Pull up an armadillo and I am sure that Montgomery will be around with a beverage of your choice unless you need the hard stuff, in which case you will need to look for the one legged pirate and see what he has available for you. It is quite dark in here so if you need a little light then please poke a jellyfish and they will light your way for a short while. Be careful of the penguins Willy and Silly they are Sabine's pets and she is rather protective over them. Also watch where you step, as I believe it can be very painful if you step on one of the hedgehogs in these rooms. There are lots of woolen accessories and or garments in corner 7 (I think Linda - JoesMum said) which apparently have been knitted by the Woolen Spider - if she exists - they might come in handy when it gets very cold in here depending on which corner you are visiting. If you visit my corner - more to the south - then it will be warmer than it is in the northern corners etc.

If your carrots start to go missing in your corner that would be the snow leopard, as that is what she likes to eat. If you see a Meerkat then please do let the rest of us know as they are the bane of our lives here in the CDR. They really like to mess around with the smooth running of the CDR and cause no end of problems when they decide that they want to liven things up a bit.

We talk torts, lizards, grass, weather, nonsense, books, dinosaurs, fossils, you name it we talk it in here. We are a bunch of fun, pun loving people from all sorts of corners of the world. And I know that we have met before outside of the CDR rooms, but I am going to say it anyway, I am Carol from Cape Town South Africa.
Or, as I have come to lovingly think of the CDR...

It's a bit like Alice in Wonderland falls down a gopher tortoise burrow and lands in the Twilight Zone...or the TARDIS. I haven't figured out which, but I've a strong suspicion that a committee (cat-mittee) of felines is responsible for navigation.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I used to work in a bookshop before it had to close, mainly because of the internet. People don't read so much anymore either. I miss my work. I sometimes dream I still work in the bookshop.
Holding a book in your hands, real paper.., the smell, nothing beats that in my opinion.
Absolutely. I miss being able to read a "final" or "published" work that isn't full of errors. Half the articles I read online, I want to print them out, mark them up, scan them in, and email them to the publisher.

I'm an English major. I've lived in Florida my entire life, except for the three years I lived in the UK. And let me tell you, there is nothing to taint one's near perfect American English..... like living in another English-speaking country! :p

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
We’re in New York. Currently having a rest after a long journey. We got got up at 4.50am UK time and it’s now past 7pm in the UK - so we have been on the go for over 14 hours.

No wonder I feel quite tired :D
Those transatlantic flights take a lot out of you. Every time I visited Florida and flew back to the UK, it would take a good two weeks for my internal clock to completely reset.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Yes, it has knocked me out you can say.
But I have another bad new: This evening I had the VET here at home to euthanize my little baby "Monty". He is a cat and I have raised him with my own hands 13 years ago. But now he was too sick. I had to let him go. It was peaceful, calm and easy for him but I am devasteted. I am very, very sad. He was always special to me because he still behaves like a cat baby when he was adult. Now he is lying next to me on the sofa and tomorrow I must burry him. I am sad but glad it is over. He isn`t suffering any longer. Now I am the one who suffers because he is dead.
Oh, Sabine, I am so sorry for your loss. I feel for you -- and for the rest of your feline family.

I'm so glad your vet made a house call. Not just because of your leg, but because it will bring more closure for the other cats. It makes such a big difference when they can pay their respects and say goodbye to their friend and family member. It makes all the difference.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Yeah, I've pretty much decided to just have him neutered. It's hard for me to "play god" with creatures' lives.
I'm glad to hear it.

Until several years ago, I completely underestimated how much of a difference a spay or neuter would make to a feral cat's personality. Then, only after she had two litters of kittens, I finally managed to catch Loki in a carrier I'd put on the porch, and I quickly shut the carrier door with her inside. Then I literally jumped up and down for joy at having caught her.

The next morning I took her into the spay and neuter clinic. I had a really hard time trying to describe what she looked like. "Kind of a mottled grey...?"

They were the ones who told me, "Oh, that's a dilute tortoiseshell... A Pastel Tortie."

And now you know that my username has absolutely nothing to do with color (colour) preference! :D

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I know. I had to "play god" this evening and I hate it.
You did the right thing. It hurts, it burns inside, but you did the right thing. You did right by Monty and the rest of your family.

I'm a little teary-eyed typing this. Warmest, kindest thoughts.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

From Wiki -

Bibimbap - from Korean bibimbap [pi.bim.p͈ap̚]), sometimes romanized as bi bim bap or bi bim bop, is a Korean dish. The word literally means "mixed rice". Bibimbap is served as a bowl of warm white rice topped with namul (sautéed and seasoned vegetables) and gochujang (chili pepper paste), soy sauce, or doenjang (a fermented soybean paste). A raw or fried egg and sliced meat (usually beef) are common additions. The hot dish is stirred together thoroughly just before eating.

From the top, home made pickled red saurkraut, cucumber in rice vinegar, sauteed mushrooms in garlic-gingerxsoy sauce and honey, pickled carrots, and sauteed spinach with garlic topped with sesame seeds. In the center a fried egg, and it all sits atop a bed of jasmine rice.

View attachment 256618

Sounds & looks amazing! I am a fan of sour more than sweet!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I'm glad to hear it.

Until several years ago, I completely underestimated how much of a difference a spay or neuter would make to a feral cat's personality. Then, only after she had two litters of kittens, I finally managed to catch Loki in a carrier I'd put on the porch, and I quickly shut the carrier door with her inside. Then I literally jumped up and down for joy at having caught her.

The next morning I took her into the spay and neuter clinic. I had a really hard time trying to describe what she looked like. "Kind of a mottled grey...?"

They were the ones who told me, "Oh, that's a dilute tortoiseshell... A Pastel Tortie."

And now you know that my username has absolutely nothing to do with color (colour) preference! :D

Lol! Jokes on me[emoji16]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The Leprechaun's Back?
Again? :mad:
No he is still in the jellyfish tank. Montgomery tells me he was very rude to the wool spider, if she exists, and she has put extra security measures in place on the tank. If you take a look you'll seeit must have been pretty bad. She isn't letting him out of there for a while!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

From Wiki -

View attachment 256618

Your wife is a really good cook!!
That looks delicious!!