COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Good evening! I took me a while to catch up because I let myself get so far behind! Cold weather brings extra chores for me at home and I always save most of my vacation time at work for the end of the year so that just means that the days I do work are extra busy... sheesh!!! I feel like I’ve barely gotten home and it’s bed time already [emoji848]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Day 4 of our 12 Days of Holiday Recipes

Moroccan Roasted Chicken with Preserved Lemons

View attachment 258831

Chicken with Preserved Lemon and Olives is a classic Moroccan dish. The roasting method calls for marinating whole chickens with a Moroccan spice rub and then slow-roasting the chickens the next day. A savory onion, lemon, and saffron sauce is prepared stove top.

Ingredients

1 whole chicken
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads (crumbled)
1 small clove garlic (finely chopped or pressed)
1 tablespoon cilantro (chopped, fresh)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice

For the Sauce:

2 large onions (yellow or white)
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
1 teaspoon smen (Moroccan preserved butter - optional, or use ghee)
3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads (crumbled)
1 preserved lemon (quartered and seeds removed)
Handful of olives (red or green)

All the step-by-strp instructions are included in the link below... Enjoy!

https://www.thespruceeats.com/moroccan-roast-chicken-with-preserved-lemons-2394656

Preserved Lemons

Preserved lemons are lemons which have been pickled in salt and their juices. Also called pickled lemons, they add a salty, distinctive lemon flavor to Moroccan tagines, sauces, and salads.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-make-moroccan-preserved-lemons-2394973
I am getting so hungry.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Big day here...no, not a microwave update. Sully is getting a full deep soak as we speak. Not an easy task for a 70 pound plus Sulcata, or for the Keeper lifting in and out of our tub! Was a lot easier under 20 pounds...
Lol. I bet it was. Lucky Sully. He must be enjoying it so much.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good evening! I took me a while to catch up because I let myself get so far behind! Cold weather brings extra chores for me at home and I always save most of my vacation time at work for the end of the year so that just means that the days I do work are extra busy... sheesh!!! I feel like I’ve barely gotten home and it’s bed time already [emoji848]
Ha ha ha. We are suckers for punishment.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Well she spent my sister and went through her approval LOL she still has to meet with my mom and dad. And hopefully we can do that this coming weekend. She can be a little shy so having to ease her into meeting people lol but I've met her mom which she lives with her mom currently. And I have met her older brother. we was supposed to meet with her best friend / cousin last weekend but unfortunately the weather made what we was going to do in possible.

She can meet us too, someday. Your Addams (Adam’s?) family. [emoji23][emoji85] You seriously look very sweet together. Like a good match. [emoji173]️[emoji173]️

Actually sisters are harder to please. I'd let my Son off with inspection by Sister :D

ROFL! Does JoesBro know about this? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
We were at the schools music evening and I am so proud of my boy. He played beautifully and yes I am totally biased.

Brilliant! Well done, Jarrod! Hope this will be my daughter someday playing in front of the whole school! [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

I had to laugh about the shorts though. This is SA in December, right? [emoji23][emoji8]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Big day here...no, not a microwave update. Sully is getting a full deep soak as we speak. Not an easy task for a 70 pound plus Sulcata, or for the Keeper lifting in and out of our tub! Was a lot easier under 20 pounds...

That’s a gargantuan task. Well done, Keeper! [emoji122][emoji122]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Good mornooning, all! Hope everyone is well: Bee with her voice exercises, Bambam with her art, Heather with her sleep, Carol with her Wednesday, Linda with her not ironing, Mark with no microwave... Oh no, I’ve just botched that attempt at wishing everyone a great day... [emoji33][emoji33]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well that was your gym work out done for the day. You have to be careful with your back when they get to that size!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
She can meet us too, someday. Your Addams (Adam’s?) family. [emoji23][emoji85] You seriously look very sweet together. Like a good match. [emoji173]️[emoji173]️

ROFL! Does JoesBro know about this? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Oh yes. He and his sister are very close. He would much rather introduce any girlfriend first to his sister rather than us.

And if either of them has someone in tow that they don't happen to have mentioned then the other will happily dob them in with me [emoji23]

That said, it's rarely a surprise to me... Instagram usually has given the game away.

Top tip for any parent... follow your kids social media accounts, but NEVER comment, NEVER like and NEVER tag them. The second you do then you remind them you are there.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Brilliant! Well done, Jarrod! Hope this will be my daughter someday playing in front of the whole school! [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

I had to laugh about the shorts though. This is SA in December, right? [emoji23][emoji8]
Yes it does look a little odd to those of us who associate December with cold not hot. :D